Chapter Twenty - Truth

Dedicated to XxRebelxAginstxX for convincing me to write again :)

"Truth is so obscured nowadays and lies so well established that unless we love the truth we shall never recognise it." - Blaise Pascal

Truth is a powerful thing. It's caused armies to rise, empires to fall, and given reasons to fight. But the power of truth doesn't end there. Truth alone can be a life preserver, or... it can be what's drowning you. Some lies are set in place to protect us. Most lies are used to prevent us from seeing a greater picture, but be careful who you lie to. One lie can create a contagious doubt over every word you've ever spoken.

November twenty-seventh was spent at Emily's house. Her parents welcomed Jem and I with open arms. Her mother immediately engulfed me into an embrace. Mr. Mathison shook Jem's hand, then mine. Emily greeted me with a kiss and led us to the dinning room. A buffet of Thanksgiving food was lined up along the table. The aroma of the turkey was enough to send my mouth watering. We sat down, said a customary prayer, and dug in.

"So how's school, Corren?" Emily's mother asked. She was the splitting image of Megan.

"It's been great. My grades are up so I get to enjoy vacation."

"That's good. Emily tells us you've picked up a job at Jem's restaurant?"

Jem snickered. "Ah, the boy's been askin' questions about it. I'm tryin' to find a place for him where he wont cause too much ruckus."

"I'll be fine."

"Is this your first job?" Mr. Mathison inquired.

"First official one. Back in Alaska I made some spare cash by shoveling snow out of driveways. The pay was good."

"How do you make extra cash now?"

I kept my voice as leveled as I could. "Oh you know... Yard jobs here and there. My parents send monthly checks to Jem for my expenses. He usually gives me whatever is left."

"You're so far from home." Emily's mom observed. "How have you been adjusting these last few months?"

"Alright thanks to the friends I met." I smiled at Emily. "Emily was big help too in the beginning. She was the first person to approach me."

"That's our girl for you. Always helping others."

"Mom." Emily blushed.

"Your parents must miss you." Mrs. Mathsion said in a sympathetic tone.

I paused. "If they did they'd write... or call."

The table fell silent.

"They don't check in?" Her mother asked in surprise.

"No, but I guess that's good. They trust me enough not to burn Jem's house down."

There started an uneasy chuckle around the table.

I quietly ate my food as conversation turned to Jem.

Emily held my hand beneath the table. I was grateful she chose to sit beside me.

* * *

"That was... interesting."

Emily laughed as we walked outside, hands entwined. "My family isn't the best at uh, family functions. They're learning."

"At least your family tries." I noted.

"I know, I know. We've been over this."

I chuckled. "Just saying."