Chapter Two - Punishment

"Corren, I thought we talked about this."

I shrugged at the blonde haired woman on the other side of the mahogany desk. Ms. Adeline was a young counselor, maybe twenty. She had the face of someone fresh out of college. A lot of guys were constantly trying to flirt with her while they were here. Some would even purposely get into trouble just to see her. When it came down to it, her age made more people feel comfortable. It made others more willing to spill their guts. I'd be damned if I ever gave into her that easy.

"Did we? I don't remember." I let the boredom show in my voice.

Ms. Adeline frowned. "This is your second fight in a month, Corren. That's three fights total."

"I didn't start it." I muttered and scowled out the window.

"Oh really," I faced her as her eyebrow went up,"You fought in the middle of passing period. Witnesses claim you threw the first punch."

"He provoked it," I snapped.

"It doesn't matter who provoked what, Corren. You can't get into a fight every time someone brings up S-"

"Don't."

A silence fell upon the room.

Ms. Adeline studied me closely. "Corren, I know it's hard, but you're back in school now. This needs to stop."

"Got it." I pushed my foot against floor, making my leather swivel chair swing from side to side.

Ms. Adeline's voice sharped. "I don't think you do, Corren. Do you understand that if you are involved in another fight you'll face expulsion?"

"Yep,"

"And you're alright with that?"

"Pretty much."

Ms. Adeline tried to break me with her stare. I ignored it.

"Corren," Her voice softened.

I hate the sound of it. Pity was the last thing I wanted.

"I know you're hurt. You don't want to admit it, but deep down you still feel that guilt. You still think-"

"Shut up."

She went on. "That there was something you could have done, but Scott was-"

"Shut up." I said again through gritted teeth.

"Far past saving. He made his choice. Scott loved you and everyone else around him, but that doesn't make you responsible for-"

"Shut up!" I roared jumping to my feet.

Ms. Adeline stopped.

I was breathing heavily. My whole body was trembling with tension.

"I don't want your help, and I don't want your pity. Leave me the hell alone."

Ms. Adeline looked at me calmly. While I glared she reached for a pen and began scribbling in my file.

"You can wait outside while I call your parents."

I turned and walked out.

I called back over my shoulder just to spite her. "Ask my mom what she's making for dinner while you're at it!"

That comment would cost me a day of detention, but it didn't matter to me. I was done with this school.

I took a seat on a row of chairs out in the main office. Grayson was sitting across from me, still in handcuffs with a cop towering over him. I smirked. Grayson balled his fists as he death-glared at me. It was safe to say I had won for the moment. All I had to deal with now was parents, something I wasn't looking forward to, but it'd blow over. Their punishments never lasted long. It wasn't like they could look me in the eye longer than five seconds either. They'd come, give a speech, I would hit a nerve, they'd lay down a consequence, and everything would be over by the end of the week. It wasn't anything new.