Chapter Seven - Bonfire

Picture of Corren to the side there ---->

After lunch ended I had two more classes to get through. The task proved to be more difficult though as I was assigned to a seat next to a certain blonde.

"My, my, my," I said approaching the table,"The Universe has not been very kind to me today."

Emily shot me a glare as I slipped into the seat beside her. "I could say the same."

"Oh, feisty. I like it."

"What is your deal?" She snapped and whipped around to me. "Are you really trying to play the role of a bad boy here? Newsflash buddy, whatever deep dark secret you're hiding that's making you try to push everyone away is really just making you an ass."

I changed the subject. "You watch a lot of movies, don't you?"

She laughed bitterly. "What, do you think my theory comes from cliches? Maybe, but..." She trailed off.

I was going to let it go, but I wanted to know. "But..?"

Emily sighed. "Forget it."

I was about to press for an answer but the teacher walked by handing out a quiz. I finished first in the class. I had already learned the material so it was relatively easy. I noticed Emily struggling on a question. She was biting her lip and fiddling with her pen. I discreetly read the question and spotted the answer.

"B." I whispered, my eyes staying locked on the teacher.

"What?" She whispered back.

"The answer is B."

Emily was going to protest, but she probably thought better of it as she circled the letter.

I smirked to myself.

"Don't get cocky," She muttered and continued with the quiz.

I chuckled quietly.

When the teacher had us pass up our papers we were free to talk again.

"So what's your deal, Little Miss Sunshine?"

She scowled. "What do you mean?"

"You seem to have me all figured out, but what about you? I haven't caught on yet, and that's hardly fair."

Emily thought for a moment before turning back to face the front. "I don't know. Why don't you take a wild guess?"

"Hmm... You're an ex-cheerleader who's on the school dance committee and manages bake sales."

Emily looked horrified. "Why would you think that!"

I shrugged. "You seem like the type."

"Haven't you ever heard the phrase, 'Never judge a book by it's cover?'"

"I have," I admitted. "But if that's not the case would you care to shed some light, Sweet Heart?"

"Quit calling me that," She said annoyed. "And for starters I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those mini-skirts."

"That's a shame," I frowned. "You'd look good in one."

Emily laughed. "Are hitting on me now?"

I smirked. "Maybe a little."

It went against everything I had previously told myself, but talking to Emily was easy. She had been quiet, maybe even shy at first, but after I got her talking the conversation flowed freely. I decided it wouldn't be so bad to talk to Emily every once in a while. It would pass the time in class. That was something I could live with. As long as the friendship strictly stayed from the cause of boredom, everything would be fine.