Chapter Twenty-Seven - Variety

- Emily -

Here's the thing- pain is real. And it doesn't go away in an instant. It weighs heavy on your heart. Think of it as car sitting on your chest slowly crushing you. You can't fight back when it comes to pain- not the way you want to. You can only persevere. There's no time limit on pain either. Anyone who says there is has never lost a true piece of their heart before.

"Emily," Corren's soothing voice called my name.

"Emily," I felt something shaking me.

I turned seeing Corren with a smug smile standing before me in his lacrosse hoodie. He grinned showing off teeth the tooth fairy would be jealous of and I was stunned.

He opened his arms. "Do I get a hug?"

I laughed. "What kind of question is that?"

Just as Corren wrapped his arms around me I awoke to Megan shaking me.

"Emily? Emily, get up. It's almost six o'clock."

I blinked at her. "Your point?"

Megan gave me that same look of dismay she had been giving since Corren left. "You need to get out of bed. Live your life. It's what he'd want for you until he comes back."

I turned the other way pulling the blankets over me tighter. "You don't know that." I muttered.

Crumpled tissues laid sprawled along my floor beside my bed. I glanced away from them and remained silent until Megan, with a deep sigh gave up and left. I felt beneath the blankets until my hand came into contact with a soft, thick material. I pulled up the red hoodie and inhaled. Corren's scent revived my senses. It was a musky, but not overwhelming, citrus scent mixed with something indescribable, yet so intoxicating.

Shards of glass cut away at my heart. I missed him. The phone call a few nights ago had helped, reassured me of his feelings, but it didn't change the fact that he should have been here with me. Thousands of miles of distance took a toll on the heart. I took a deep breath and collected myself before sitting up in bed. I moved my knotted hair out of my face and rose to my feet. The walk to the bathroom felt more sluggish than it should have been. I gaze at my reflection in the mirror. What a sorry sight I was. My hair was a bundle of greasy tangles, my face was pale and eyes lifeless. It looked as though someone had come and drained all the happiness within me. That analogy wasn't too far off. I peeled off my clothes and stepped into the shower. The steam nearly unthawed the cold, empty space in my chest where my heart should have been.

I met Megan downstairs after I had dressed myself for the day.

"How are you feeling?" Megan asked as I sat at the kitchen counter.

"Fine."

"Don't do that, Ems." Megan's voice softened. I hated that.

"What do you want me to say?" I snapped." Admit how sad I am since Corren left? Admit that it's hell waking up in the morning because I know wont see him?"

My sister pursed her lips. "Have you tried video chatting?"

I let out an exasperated sigh followed my running a hand through the length of my hair. "It's been so difficult to get a hold of each other with the time-zones. We keep playing this game of tag and it makes me want to pull my hair out."

"At you least you hear from him at all."

"I guess should be grateful for that, but I'm so angry on the inside, Meg! It's like I want to slap him but hold him close and kiss him and I just- ugh!" I let my face fall into my hands.