Seventeen

"Joonie-hyung, can we swap out?" Jeongguk asks softly from the door of his bedroom. Namjoon looks up from the film he's watching on the computer towards Zanna and smiles at Jeongguk when he sees she's still napping; she had fallen asleep shortly after he gave her the sunstone necklace.

"Sure, kid. I was just thinking I needed a snack, anyway." Namjoon stands and pats Jeongguk on the shoulder. "I'll heat something for her, too."

Once the door has closed behind him, Jeongguk settles into the desk chair so he won't be tempted to touch.

"Zanna," he calls. "Time to wake up." She yawns as she wakes, and Jeongguk can't stop the endeared smile that spreads across his face. She's too damn cute. Zanna slowly sits up and blinks blearily at him, because of course she does. "Sleep well?" He asks as casually as he can manage. It comes out strained, as though someone's cut off his airflow--and he's pretty sure someone has.

Why does she have to be so damn cute?! He struggles not to huff aloud. Zanna watches him, silent, for a painfully long minute. Finally, she blinks hard and slowly reaches out a hand.

"Kookie," she says, and it takes everything in him not to run to her side.

Mine, his soul demands. Ours. My Soulmates and hers. All of us together. Mine and mine and mine, and all of us hers--

"Zanna... I can't," he breathes, aching to reach for her. "We'll Soulbond." This isn't an unusual phenomenon—their souls demanding connection in such a palpable way. It's well known that Soulmates who spend a lot of time near each other without Bonding begin to feel more and more drawn to each other.

She meets his gaze evenly, and his mouth goes dry. "Kookie," she repeats firmly. Her small hand closes into a fist and opens again.

She made a grabby hand. She made a fucking grabby hand. Jeongguk's whole body hurts, every cell crying out for her. He can feel Yoongi and Taehyung in the back of his head; they can feel the ache too, evidently, but they're each distracted by their work.

"Baby, please--" He tries to swallow. "If I touch you, we'll Bond. There's no going back." He never imagined it would get this intense. He started to feel it shortly after Zanna and Yoongi Bonded, but he'd chalked it up to jealousy. Now, he knows better.

"Jeongguk," Zanna says, and he's at her side. He doesn't know--doesn't care--how he got there. It doesn't matter. What matters is her, is touching her, is feeling her Soul through a Bond for the first time.

My Soulmate. Our Soulmate. Ours and no one else's, forever. Nobody touches her again. We'll keep her safe. Our Soulmate forever. Ours and we are hers. That's when he sees it.

She's wearing a sunstone. A sunshine request. His heart skips.

Jeongguk takes Zanna's hand in his.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A shock runs through Yoongi's body, and he straightens up in his chair.

Jeongguk?!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Taehyung stops mid-song, the track Yoongi composed for him still playing through his headphones.

Was that... Zanna?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jeongguk stares at Zanna's hand, clasped between his.

Nothing happened. He felt the connection, yes. Felt the Bond snap into place, and then... It disappeared. Disintegrated. Vanished without a trace. And Zanna...