Dean

2005

"I love the Smurfs. You know, I gotta tell you, are way out of my brother's league," Dean had told Jessica.

"Let me put something on," Sam's girlfriend responded.

"No, no, I wouldn't dream of it. Seriously." Dean flashed her a smile.

"Sammy!" A small figure entered the room and wrapped his arms around Sam. Since he was only about eight years old, that only went to Sam's waist.

"Hey, Percy," Sam said uncertainly, awkwardly patting him on the back while shooting a glance at Dean.

"I missed you so much! Bobby's house is so boring, and-"

"Squirt, why don't you talk to Jessica while Sam and I talk," Dean interrupted gently. Percy nodded enthusiastically, then grabbed Jessica's hand and yanked her into another room.

Sam lead Dean outside but didn't allow him a chance to speak.

"Why did you bring Percy," Sam growled.

"You didn't want to see your brother?" Dean raised an eyebrow.

"Of course I did, but isn't he too young to be caught up in the 'family business'?"

"Dad's been missing for three weeks," Dean replied. They walked to the Impala's trunk. "Doesn't our brother deserve to help find him?" Sam raised an eyebrow. Dean sighed. "Bobby needed a break. Besides, we were hunting when we were younger than him."

"No, you were," Sam replied. Their argument lasted a few more minutes before they headed back inside, where Percy was still chattering away to Jessica.

"Sammy really like you. Do you like him? I've never liked a girl before. I know this blonde girl with gray eyes but she won't talk to me for a few years. Do you like to read? Dean always makes Sammy read books for their projects as Sammy is really good at it and likes to read. Also because Dean likes frisky women and long walks on the beach," Percy blabbed. Dean raised his eyebrows. His brother hadn't changed.

"Yes, I really like Sammy," Jessica smiled.

"Sammy!" Percy called, seeing his brother in the doorway.

"Hey, squirt, he's coming with us," Dean told him. Percy grinned, with a few tooth holes visible. "Let's meet him in the car."

"Yay!" Percy pumped his fist. The two immature boys walked out leaving the couple alone.

"Your brother is adorable," Jessica said, approaching Sam.

"Sorry about his chatter. He has ADHD," Sam explained. She smiled.

"It's cute. And where did he get his beautiful eyes?"

"He's adopted," Sam explained. He smiled at the thought of his brother. Percy was innocent. He hadn't fought any monsters yet. Sam had been desperately trying to keep his brother as normal as possible, but he'd forgotten how much he wanted to be a hunter when he was younger. "His mom left him on the streets. We found him and took him in."

"That's so sweet," Jessica smiled, "But what did Dean mean about you going with them?"

________________________________________________________________________________

Present Day

Dean felt numb. His arms were tightly wrapped around his brother. The brother who he had been cursing at earlier that day. The one who's sea-green eyes would never open again.

"Dean," Sam whispered. Dean hugged Percy tighter, ignoring the jarring pain in his chest. He had no idea if the pain was physical or emotional. He didn't care that he had just been Metatron's whack-a-mole. "He's gone."

Sam hurriedly wiped away his own tears. He gently placed his hand on Dean's shoulder. 

"Squirt," cried Dean. There were no tears, but Dean was motionless, arms wrapped tightly on their brother's body, refusing to let go. So Sam did it for him.

Sam was the one who pried Dean's fingers off of Percy's cold body. He was the one who carried Percy's body to the car. He was the one who came back and helped an injured Dean make it to his Impala. He was the one who drove back to the bunker. He was the one who helped both of his brothers to the bunker.

Castiel was waiting for them. He helped Dean from the car while Sam took care of Percy's body by lying it on a guest bed.

"Dean, I'm sorry about Perseus," Cas said to the Winchester leaning against him for support as he stumbled into the elder Winchester's room. Dean shook his head and pushed himself off of Cas and onto his bed. Somehow, he'd grabbed Percy's tablet from the car and clutched it between his shaking fingers.

"No, he's not gone," Dean muttered, "He can't be."

"Dean," Cas said slowly, "Metatron stabbed him clean through."

"We can make a deal, we can-"

"Dean-" Cas said gently. 

"He must've left something on the tablet. He knew-" Dean's voice cracked. The angel gently took the tablet from him, placing it on the man's dresser.

Cas sat beside Dean and put his arm around him. The angel sat quietly until Dean leaned his head onto the angel's head and began to cry.

Meanwhile, Dean wasn't the only one struggling with the son of Poseidon's death.

________________________________________________________________________________

Due to the coronavirus quarantine, I will be posting chapters more frequently. I hope everyone is healthy and stays that way.