Taxi (8x19)

"How did you know it wasn't me?" Sam asked hesitantly after Bobby killed the Sam look alike. 

"Lucky guess," Bobby answers truthfully.

The second trial in Sam's quest to close the gates of hell was to rescue an innocent soul from Hell. Unfortunately, Bobby never made it to heaven, and it was up to Sam to correct that.

Dean was against Sam doing the quest. As a protective brother, Dean always wanted to take any responsibility or dangerous job away from his brother. Sam was glad he was doing the job. Not that he wanted to go back to Hell, especially after his soul was trapped there for over a year and a half. So far, it hadn't been too bad. 

Sam was about to tell Bobby that they'd better hurry, but the look in Bobby's eyes stopped him.

"Bobby?" Sam questioned. The elder man only pointed behind Sam. Sam turned, expecting another illusion. He faltered, caught off guard by someone he hadn't seen in years.

There stood his brother, Percy Winchester.

"Sammy?" his brother asked. Percy was older than Sam remembered, and he held a gleaming bronze sword in his hand. He was covered in blood and golden dust. His orange t-shirt and jeans were torn to shreds.

"Why are you in Hell?" Sam asked. Percy tilted his head, his sea-green eyes filled with confusion and possibly a tint of fear. What was his brother so afraid of? Suddenly, Percy spun with lighting speed, slicing through a shadow. Percy let loose a blood curling scream.

"Geryon," Percy muttered as blood seeped from the sides of his chest. "This is how I killed him..." The Percy Sam remembered had never killed anyone. What had happened to his brother down here?

"You have spread some much death and suffering, Percy Jackson. Let us repay you!" a voice hissed. Percy Jackson? Sam broke into a run towards his brother.

Percy weakly raised his left hand, and Sam was stopped cold. He couldn't move. It reminded him of the night Dean died.

"Sam, I don't know how you died and ended up in Tartarus, but these aren't the same monsters you fight," Percy grunted, putting more force into pushing Sam backward. Sam gaped at his brother's strength and abilities. 

"I'm not dead," Sam grunted, but his younger brother didn't seem to hear him. "Come with me, I can get you out of here!"

"I'm sorry I left you behind when Dean died. As soon as I close the Doors of Death, I promise I'll get you and Dean to the Underworld. To Elysium." Sam met his brother's stormy gaze. "I promise."

"Percy?" cried a woman's voice. Percy's face was etched with worry.

"Go, Sam," Percy said, dropping his arm. "Annabeth!" His brother cried out, spinning and darting out of Sam's view.

"Sam!" Bobby placed his hand on Sam's shoulder. "That's not him."

"How do you know?" Sam asked quietly, turning to face his mentor. It took everything he had to turn away from chasing down his brother. "Let's go. I have a job to do."

________________________________________________________________________________

"Are you okay?" Dean asked Sam immediately after the second trial ritual was completed. He helped his younger brother to his feet.

"Yeah." Dean nodded. "But Dean, I saw Percy in Hell," Sam said quietly. Dean blinked.

"It wasn't him," Dean responded quickly.

"But Dean, he spoke as if he was still alive."

"It's messing with your mind, Sammy," Dean argued. Sam shook his head.

"Then why would he promise me something?"

"Promised you what?" Dean didn't want to discuss the dead.

"I don't know. He was severely injured. And-" Sam trailed off. Dean furrowed his eyebrows.

"Injured?"

"He was fighting something. He-he stopped me from going to him with his hand."

"What?" Dean questioned. The Percy he remembered was a somewhat normal kid. At least compared to him and Sam.

"I don't know why, but he was extremely powerful. He said he was sorry he left."

"So he's dead and in Hell," Dean said curtly.  Sam knew that was his 'end of conversation' tone, so he didn't push the subject.