They left the game room bantering, happy carefree smiles on their faces, until they heard a commotion. Shawn was caught off guard for a split second, and a split second cost him the princess who dashed away to her parents' quarters right away. He managed to catch up but was too late because the princess has already made it to the emperor's chambers just in time to witness Brad plunge his sword in her father's heart before slicing her mother's jugular veins. There they both stood frozen in a momentary shock. Until armed soldiers wearing the Bunloaf County colors started attacking.

Shawn was quick enough this time to defend himself then drag the princess away from the melee who was very much able to defend herself as well. Then they were outnumbered and got chased by so many soldiers, some of which doesn't really look like soldiers but more like common thugs whose sole mission in life was to kill. The princess, despite being capable of swordfighting, was pretty much still in distraught; she just saw her parents murdered and it made her feel such searing pain in her chest.

Once they have reached her bedchamber and locked the door, the young imperial guard then proceeded to push the princess inside her closet, reminding her that she must leave and go to the safety of the imperial temple, that he will hold off the Bunloaf soldiers' attack as she made her way through the secret passageways of the castle.

She didn't want to.

She didn't want him to suffer the same fate as her parents, but Shawn insisted that this was his sworn duty, that he was fulfilling his oath. She couldn't argue the way she typically would because her emotions are getting the best of her. She allowed Shawn to shove her inside the hatch in her closet and push the concealed doors close. That was the last time she saw her friend and protector.

She didn't know she was crying in all of this time until she felt her chest heave a breath and exhaled in painful sobs.

All of that happened in just one night.

She ran as fast as she could through the secret passageways, and instead of going to the path that leads to the imperial temple, she made an impulsive decision to go seek Simon instead and ask his help to get her revenge. It is what her entire being is truly searching for at that very moment.

Revenge.

She made a quick stop at the Mines that her father showed her when she was younger to collect a few necessities. The Mines is located in the deep hollows in the underground of the castle. Only a true born Jauregui knows how to go in and out of the Mines and it was protected by an ancient magic for centuries since the first Jauregui took seat in the imperial throne. It housed immeasurable amounts of gems, many different precious stones and diamonds and gold in countless piles, both in bars and coins; brocade, silk and all sorts of armory were all kept in mint condition by the same ancient magic. It housed the true imperial crown of Arcadia, a crown that was as magical as the couldron of the blue fire. The one her father wore was just a copy made of common gems. The Mines is the true treasury chamber of Arcadia and only Princess Lauren knows about it now that her father is dead.

She only took what she needed, including the onyx bow that her father told her belonged to the first Jauregui. Bow and arrows have always been her chosen weapon and she most definitely have the skills for it. She then sneaked her way to fetch her stallion and made a mad run through the main city and on to the offroad that she knew would lead her to Simon's cottage.

"Where have you gone away, Simon," the princess mumbled to herself once again.

She left the books alone on the shelf and investigated further as she forced herself to not get distracted by the previous night's tragedy. Looking around, she can tell that there was no obvious sign of breaking and entering before her. There was no sign of struggle. The way the bed and the kitchen was left suggests that Simon left on his own accord.

But where to, she doesn't know.

Princess Lauren went back to all the conversations she had with the man. Sorting through her head the things that made her former tutor spoke of in keen interest. Archery, history, music and basic knife fight. He talked about how him and the emperor, who was just a prince at the time, had so much fun training with all sorts of blades by the imperial orchard. He talked about how much of a charmer her dad was with the ladies until he met her mom. Simon spoke of how much of an awkward stuttering mess her dad was meeting her mom for the first time until the emperor interrupts their conversation and starts talking about a silver-haired witch Simon met a very long time ago.

The witch!!

Maybe Simon finally went after his love, maybe that's why he refused to be the head of the imperial council. She doesn't know much about witches but she's aware of their monk-like lifestyle and that's probably why things didn't work out in Simon's lovelife.

It seems far fetched, but it's the only lead she can think of right now. It isn't much but it's a start . . .

* * *

🙂