Prologue

Wei Wuxian

It had been 10 years since I last step foot in my hometown. Ten years since I last saw the place I was born and grew up in. Life has other plans for me when I was forced to leave my culinary school along with my brother Jiang Cheng halfway due to the incident which changed our lives as we knew it, and now, after the untimely demise of my adoptive parents has left the Jiang group of restaurants which has been going through financial difficulties for the past 6 years is left to fend for its own.

Jiang Cheng, my brother. Not by blood but the second born of the Jiangs had been bred, trained and taught the reigns of the company since he was a young boy. Skills that were put to good use as we made a name for ourselves in the Western Culinary scenes, skills that would be considered as his succession as the CEO of Jiang group.

"Wei Ying, we'll land soon. Turn your damn laptop off," Jiang Cheng said, breaking me from my trance as I broke my gaze away from the passing clouds.

"Ah A-cheng, get the stick out of your ass and stop frowning. Your face looks that of a raging Bull," I said with a sigh.

"Shut up," He said and turned away.

It was still early in the morning but the Beijing Airport is forever busy, even more so from what my memory serves me. We waited at the conveyor belt for our luggage and after acquiring them we walked towards the exit.

"A-cheng, A-xian! Here!" Said a voice. I looked around to see the source of the voice when Jiang Cheng pointed to a familiar face, a face I had missed ever since I stepped out of the country.

"Shijie!" I said and waved my arms at her  as we slowly walked towards the pick up area. The crowd was simply unpleasant but seeing Shijie's face made everything just so much better.

"Shijie, you didn't have to come to pick us. You could  have just sent the car." Jiang Cheng said, receiving an elbow to his stomach from me for his out of the box comment.

Jiang Cheng was asshole at worst, stubborn at best. He would appreciate the small things that people would do for him but he would refuse to show that to people, which would often lead to his relationships falling apart.

"My brothers are coming back after 10 years, I haven't seen your faces for so long, why would I miss such an opportunity?" Shijie said as she reached for our heads and tiptoed to stroke our hair.

"Don't listen to him, Shijie. He is just happy to see you here" I said, smiling ear to ear. One of the toughest part of leaving the country was leaving Shijie behind, she cried and begged which made it infinitely harder than it already was.

"Anyway, I have a surprise for you." She said and turned around "A-Ling, come here. Meet your uncles."

I had heard about Shijie getting married, atleast on paper. She married the man who we had ardently hated, Jin Zixuan but during the rough times, he had been a solid foundation of support to her. It only made sense that she married him, what was surprising though was that they had a kid quite soon after the marriage. A kid who was around 5 years old peeked at us and continued to hide behind his mother.

"Sorry, he is a little shy in front of new people," Shijie said

"Are you sure it has that peacock's blood running through him because I don't remember a single time when Jin Zixuan was shy" Jiang Cheng said as he scrutinized the child with big round eyes, round face and a button nose. A baby who clearly inherited his mother's adorable face.

"He does, stop being mean about his dad and my husband in front of us," She said with a smile as she bent down and picked the kid up in her arms who didn't have any intention of looking at us while hiding his face in his mother's neck.