Chapter 6

"I can't believe you."

"Shut the FUCK UP!"

"Get out of my life!"

The screams echo inside my head. I hate that memory. I open my eyes. The gray ceiling stares back at me. Another day. Without him. But that was a long time ago. I couldn't care for it now. Everything's... fine. I think.

...

It's not fine. I'm not fine.

...

I roll over onto my stomach, try to reset my thoughts before I get out of bed. I think it's 7:15 am, someday during the new school year. I don't know. I lost count.

I should really get out of bed. School will start soon.

I sit up and wrap my blankets around me, holding them around my shoulders. They drag on the floor as I head to the bathroom. I hear the shower running. Aunty's taking a morning shower.

Whatever. She never locks the door. I'll just go in and get ready.

Aunty's humming can be heard over the running water. Steam fills the room and condenses on the mirror. Not like I need to see my reflection. I have an unsightly face. I can hardly stand it. It's probably what led Dad to leave June and I. It's probably what led Mom to abandon us with Aunty.

I know it's really not. But that reason sounds better than the real one.

While I'm brushing my teeth, the sound of running water stops, and out of the corner of my eye I see Aunty's arm reach out and grab her towel. I turn, and we both make eye contact. Her brown hair sticks to her forehead and shoulders. The same color as Mom's and June's.

She smiles. "Good morning July!"

"Gwoo mwarih" I say through a mouthful of toothpaste.

She goes back behind the curtain. "You should let me know you came inside. You almost startled me."

I spit out the toothpaste. "You never lock the door. That's enough invitation." I hear her chuckle.

I drop my blanket to the floor and bend over the sink to wash my face. The light scratching of metal can be heard as Aunty opens the shower curtain and steps out.

"You remember what day it is today?"

"What?"

"October fourth?"

I feel a shock, partially from the cold water, but mostly from the rush of emotions through my head.

"Ten years since you and June came to live with me?"

"I know," I snap. I feel irritated. Just waking up this morning with those echoes in my mind was bad enough. She doesn't have to remind me of the date as well.

I turn off the tap and dry my face, then I grab my blanket off the floor and move to leave the steamy bathroom. Aunty takes my place in front of the mirror. "Can you wake up June?" she asks, while grabbing the blow dryer. "I'll drive both of you to school today. Oh, but you both might have to walk back. I'm meeting someone this afternoon."

"Ok."

I walk down the hall and knock on June's room. "June," I call, "Get up. Aunty's driving us to school." I can hear shuffling in the room.

She's up. She'll be ready. I've got to get ready myself.

I turn back into my room and close the door behind me. I start putting on my uniform. Shirt, tie, skirt, blazer, stockings. Then I run a brush through my hair.