Chapter Thirty-Three

Before he could be checked out of the hospital, Izuku wanted to check on the twins. He knew that what they had just gone through must have been traumatizing.

"Suzuki!" Hina and Yuna jumped into Izuku's arms animatedly.

"We got our quirks!" Hina crowed, clinging to Izuku's shoulder for dear life. "We have quirks now! I can be a Pokémon trainer just like Ash!"

Nevermind, they were fine.

Yuna wrapped her arms around poor Izuku's neck and sat on his shoulders. "Are you okay? Mommy said you were fine, but sometimes she lies, so I can't believe her. She told me a mean fairy likes to steal my teeth to make a necklace."

Todoroki, who was standing right behind Izuku, let out a quiet snort. But if anyone had asked him about it, the teen would have denied it. It was a quirk he was slightly embarrassed to have. (Later on, a certain someone who I cannot name quite yet would confess to loving that peculiarity of his.)

"I'm fine," Izuku reassured the young girl. "I promise, nothing hurts anymore. See?" Izuku lifted Yuna from his shoulders and gently threw her up before catching her. She squealed with laughter and her brother took this time to clamber up Izuku's body and steal her spot on his shoulders.

"Who's that?" Hina hung upside down, scaring Todoroki half to death as the young toddler stared at him intently.

"Whoah, okay, please be careful!" Izuku reached behind his back to pull the young boy back into a sitting position while using his other arm to catch the young boy's sibling.

The heterochromatic teen smiled in amusement. My resources have informed me that this smile is quite charming, and while I normally have the utmost trust in this resource, with this specific opinion, I believe them to be biased. Meanwhile, Izuku, who had become more terrified about the children's' safety, quickly set the twins on the ground - much to their disappointment.

Izuku was eager to visit the children before he was checked out of the hospital. He had been worried that they may have been shaken by what had occurred the night before, but as the kids chattered on animatedly about their quirks and how the doctors were confused every time the children corrected them on Hina's gender, Izuku tossed those worries aside. For now, these children were fine. Kids were resilient like that, able to bounce back quickly. Who knows what would happen further down the road? But for now, they were okay, and that's what matters.

Izuku was eager to fall back into his routine and assist the people who had messaged him for help while he was in the hospital, but due to Todoroki's concern for his well-being, the green-eyed teen was forced into one more day of bed rest before he could, "go outside and completely disregard his health again." Todoroki's words.

Normally, being quarantined in one place made Izuku antsy. When he was a child, he was always doing something with himself, playing hero, trying to reveal his quirk, or clicking 'like' for the millionth time on All Might's debut video. When he reached middle school, he had started writing notebook after notebook, filling it with information on new heroes, their quirks, and their styles whenever he had a free moment. It was a desperate attempt to make something of himself, something useful. But more important than that, it was a way to keep him distracted from his failure. His time in UA was filled with hero exercises and studying, always keeping him on his toes, ready for battle at all times. Then he joined the enemy, whoever that even was. Every waking moment was something. If he wasn't committing a crime then he was training to commit one. If he wasn't doing either of those, then he was devising plans to help his fellow villain lackeys do whatever felony they had been instructed to do. He barely slept. Doing nothing was a punishment. He would be locked in a dark room, with nothing but his own thoughts and the consistent voice that plagued his mind - it drove him mad. They would let him out days later. After a proper thrashing, he was good to go. When the door opened, Izuku would be filled to the brim with a tired sense of relief and joy. Even though it meant he had to defend himself from the lashings, it was still something to do. He just wanted something to do. He just had to stay busy and not think. Distract himself as he shattered, slowly but surely.