Chapter Thirteen

When Inko Midoriya opened the door to her apartment, our poor protagonist had to take a moment to calm himself. He was overcome with way too many emotions to be considered healthy. Not that he wasn't like that every day. Trust me, I should know.

Everything was exactly as it was when he had left. The books were on the shelves, not really in a certain order. The walls were covered in photos from Izuku's childhood, and the light smell of food wafted from the kitchen. Izuku remembered how his mother used to cook so much in there that even when she wasn't cooking, he could still smell her home made cooking. He never realized how much he missed it until that moment. He needed to get out of the building and he needed to get out of there fast. There was a high chance that he would start to cry. Again. Nobody wanted to deal with that mess.

"Sorry it's such a mess. I have been so busy recently I haven't had time to clean." Inko began walking into the kitchen, gesturing for Izuku to follow. "Can you put those in the kitchen?"

Izuku, who had been standing stock still shocked back into reality. "O-oh, yeah. Of course."

Mother and son entered the kitchen and began putting away the groceries in silence. Occaisionally Midoriya would inquire as to the spot in which he should place an item, even though he was fully aware of where it should have gone. He did have to keep up pretenses.

After a while of mostly silent organizing, Inko spoke. "You know, my son loved katsudon." Midoriya looked up. Did she know? Was she just playing an extreme game of cat and mouse?

Izuku cleared his throat. He just had to stay calm. "Really?" He asked. Polite, not too interested. That was the tone he had to set.

"Oh yes," she smiled, setting a can into the cupboard above her, "it was his favorite. When he was younger, he would beg to have katsudon for dinner every night."

Midoriya nodded, not missing out on how she kept reffering to him in past tense. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but what happened to your son?"

Inko was silent for a moment. A deafening tension had enveloped the two. What a ridiculous situation they were in. There they were, a mother and her son, each of them nothing more than a familiar stranger. The mother thought the son was a random citizen willing to help someone in need, while the son thought that the mother deserved something better than what she had. A fresh start

You know, looking back, if only our protagonist had just told her who he was. Maybe everything would have ended differently. Maybe so many of the unfortunate events that had taken place would not have happened. If only Izuku had revealed his identity, then maybe, right now, history would be different.

Unfortunately, that never happened.