Chapter Twenty-One

"I am so sorry, ma'am."

Inko simply smiled at Midoriya, her eyes still slightly red, as she set a cup of tea down in front of him.

"No need to apologise. It seems as though we were both overdue for a good cry anyways." Inko smiled, sitting across from Izuku at the dining table. "I'm not going to ask why you are upset, because you seem as though you really don't want to talk about it. But I will tell you this. I am here if you ever need help."

Izuku was silent for a moment. Then, he spoke, his voice small.

"Why?"

Inko simply smiled.

"Why?" he asked again. "Why are you being so kind to me? Why did you approach me? Why do you want to help me?"

Midoriya desperately needed to know.

"One of my reasons is because you seem like a kind kid who sacrificed too much of himself in order to help others. I figure you probably need someone who will sacrifice themselves for you."

Midoriya was shocked. Was he really a good person? Even after all that he had done? He opened his mouth to speak, but Inko was not done talking.

"The real reason I approached you, is because you remind me of my son."

Wait, what?

"You both have the same sense of selflessness, one that can eventually get you killed. My son has already gone missing, and there is nothing I can do that hasn't already been done about that issue. I guess I just saw you and figured that I have been given a second chance to make things right."

Izuku was ready to bawl all over again.

"People like you never stop helping, not matter how much it pains you in the process. So, as long as you are you, I will be here to help. No questions asked. I am offering you the solace of my home whenever you may be in need."

Midoriya shook his head. "No, you shouldn't let me be here," he denied, "I have done bad things, I'm not a good person. Me being here can put you in danger. You shouldn't give me your help."

"Did you enjoy doing these bad things?" Inko asked this question as one might ask about the whether or the Friday night game on T.V.

"W-what?"

"Did you like doing those things? Did they bring you joy? Would you like to do them again?"

"Well, no, but-"

"Then there is nothing to worry about." Inko took a sip of her tea, grasping her light blue mug with both of her hands, still keeping it on the table. "Good people are everywhere. They don't just have to be innocent. Just because you are a villain doesn't mean you are bad and just because you are a villain doesn't mean you are good. Of course, actions are important when determining a person's personality, but they aren't everything. Plenty of good people become villains just because it is the only way they can support their families. Plenty of heroes are only in it for the fame privileges."

Izuku stared at Inko in disbelief. She was right.

Was he actually a good person? Was there still a chance? Was there still a part of that innocent child that seemed to have existed so long ago still inside him the moment he agreed to that monster's terms?

Overwhelmed, Midoriya buried his face in his hands.

••••••••••••••••••••

All of the hostages in the bank were gaping at the green haired boy, fear evident in their eyes. A few children were crying, gripping their parents for dear life. There were a few teenagers who were staring at him in anger. Defiance. 

The young boy growled at them, his eyes cold and dead. "Stay still or the child gets it."

In the greenette's left arm was a baby, it couldn't be over six months old. In his right arm, the villain held a gun. 

The child's father was kneeling in front of the villain, begging for the boy to have mercy on the child held in his arms.

"Please, I'll do anything, just let my baby go." The poor man was in tears as he stared up at the two children. One was only six months. The other was fifteen.

The greenette hissed at the sobbing man with nothing but pure venom evident in his voice.

"If you don't shut up right this second, neither of you will be able to do anything at all. Ever again."

The man stayed quiet. The only sounds were the quiet echoes of his sobs.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" The villain spoke loudly and clearly, "Put all of your valuables in front of me in that bag." He gesture to the sack lying limply before him. "Those of you who don't comply will be at fault for the death of this child, and then whoever else I can shoot before the pro heroes get here."

There was no hint of malice in the villain's eyes. He meant what he said.

Slowly, everyone who had something worth of value began removing them from their person.

"No sudden movements," the greenette growled, pushing the chamber of the gun into the child's head.

People began stepping up to the bag warily, eyeing the fifteen year old as they did so. No doubt they were trying to memorize his features so that they could aid in his arrest.

It wouldn't do anything or help anyone though.

Even the select few teenagers who had glared the villain down just a moment before were complying. Nobody wanted to be responsible for a mass slaughter.

Once everything of value was in the bag, the villain laughed.

The laugh was strange. It was a kind of strangled laugh, sad and happy at the same time. Angry and relieved. Sane and manic.

It sounded like the villain was drowning.

"Well, thank you for your time folks, but I have to go now."

With those last few words, the villain's body seemed to be consumed by green lightning.

Then, he was gone.

The baby lay gently in her father's arms, as though she had never left them. Yet, there was no sign of the villain who had held her.

Sirens rang through the streets, already having missed their target.