27 | lover at your door

Začít od začátku

William didn't say anything and stood rooted to his spot, in the middle of her room, fists clenching and unclenching at his sides and Eliza found that she wanted him out of here. He would have been welcomed in her room any other day but this wasn't him at all; this person was a stranger.

"Get out," she ordered and she saw a muscle in his jaw tick at her words.

"Please listen to me, Eliza," he said again but she stopped him by pointing towards the door.

"Right there...is the exit. Please leave," she commanded again, but he didn't move and she stepped closer until they were hardly an inch apart. She looked up to stare at his blue eyes. He was taller than her but she wanted him to know that she wouldn't be intimidated by him. She got on her tiptoes to face him more properly.

"You," she said, balancing herself. "Mean nothing to me."

She stumbled but was surprised when she found William's hands on each side of her waist and he lifted her to face him. She was still on her toes but she could now balance more properly. She shivered at his touch and intimidated or not, she didn't want to feel what she was feeling.

"Leave me."

"Say what you have to say to my face, Eliza. I promise, I'll listen," he said softly as his blue eyes fixed themselves on her green ones.

She pushed him and he let go. She missed his touch but she didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing that. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Eliza, I never wanted to tell you the truth," he said.

"Yes, because you are a liar. You lie and you use people just like you were using me for your personal entertainment," she seethed at him.

"I never used you, Eliza. Why are you so upset with me? I didn't come here on my own will. Your father sent me here," he spoke, but the information didn't have any effect on her.

"I don't care who sent you. The only thing I know is that you are my future and I don't like it."

"But why?" he asked, surprised.

"Because I don't want to be married," she confessed and he seemed startled.

"What?" he said.

"I don't want to be married okay? That's a simple truth. I don't want to know my future and I don't want to believe in you, William Ray. You are nothing, absolutely nothing to me," she said and at each word that escaped her mouth, she saw the rise and fall of his chest growing faster and faster.

"Eliza. Don't say this," he prayed but she moved closer to him and pushed him. He stumbled a step back.

"I don't want you to be my future," she said and saw the hurt finding its way to his eyes at her words.

"Eliza, please don't say that," he pleaded again as she gave him another push and he was out of her room but still at the door.

"Go away, William." She looked him straight in the eyes and saw the tears forming. "Go away. I don't want to see your face."

She shut the door when he tried to make a feeble attempt to step towards her. The door slammed shut and Eliza turned back to lean against it.

She didn't hear the stairs creak and she knew that he was still there. She closed her eyes and focused on hearing the sound of his presence.

Her heart kept begging her to not let him go but she didn't want to listen to that stupid voice. She was about to move away from the door to lie on her bed when she heard the soft movement behind and leaned back.

"Eliza," William said her name, so softly and gently like it was made of porcelain and Eliza's heart almost stopped for a moment.

"Please open the door," he said and she slid down to sit on the floor as the grief in his voice made her weak on her knees. She could feel him behind that door.

He was close, so close that she felt like if she concentrated harder she could hear the beating of his heart.

"Eliza, please open the door, Love." She heard him sob and felt her chest constricting.

"Please, talk to me. You don't have to love me or even like me if you don't want to but please talk to me, Love. Let me see your face and hear you speak. That's all I want...please."

He was crying now, and his words came out more hurried and frantic as he knocked on her door.

"Just let me see your face. Don't torture me like this. I just want to talk to you. Please, Eliza. Just talk to me. I have no-one here. No-one to share my pain, no-one to understand me, no-one who knows me as you do. I am alone, Eliza. I need you. Please just open the door and let me see your face. That will be enough, for now. I will know that everything will be fine. Don't hurt me like this." His voice broke at every word and Eliza put a hand on her mouth when she felt a low, painful moan escape her mouth.

She felt the warm tears that were wetting her cheeks and she didn't know why she was crying but she was, and she screamed silently as William's pain gripped her at his every word. She cried as he kept begging for her to open the door.

"Please open the door, Love. Where will I go if not towards you?"

She didn't open the door although every inch of her body was screaming to do the same. She cried along with him and he kept calling out her name.

(What's your favourite?)
(You)

(What's your favourite?)(You)