27 | lover at your door

Eliza woke up with a heavy head. She hadn't slept for this long since quite some time and she knew why. She hadn't been in the company of her stash the previous night. She took a shower and after getting ready in her mother's white dress and a pair of pink socks, she went to her cupboard and grabbed her sweater.

She was wearing more colours and she liked it. She wasn't sure what had caused the change suddenly but she wanted to look more like herself now.

After getting dressed, she descended the stairs and went towards the kitchen. Her father was sitting on one of the dining chairs, wearing his sweatpants and a white robe but he wasn't the person Eliza was shocked to see.

It was William Ray.

He was sitting opposite to her father. He was midway through his bowl of cereal but the moment he saw her, he got up, dropping the spoon back in the bowl and stood straight, facing her.

She took him in and felt her heart flip. He wore a royal blue sweater and black jeans. His dark blond hair was messy and Eliza felt a sudden urge to run her fingers through them, just like she had done the day before. She took a step back when he took a step towards her, hesitation clear in his movements. He looked at her, nervously and she tried her best to ignore his gorgeous self.

"What is he doing here?" she asked, turning to her father.

Harvey Scott got up from his seat and leaned lazily against the table.

"Good morning to you too, Eliza," he said, and Eliza felt a sudden irritation at her father's ignorance.

"What is he doing here?" she asked again, more sternly, pointing towards William.

"He was alone. I brought him here," her father informed, taking her by surprise.

"Get him out of here!"

"No," he spoke and this time she saw even William staring at him in surprise.

"What do you mean 'No'?"

She remembered what her father had promised last night.

"And I am gently denying your request."

"Eliza," William interrupted them and she looked at him.

He was watching her with a look that was full of hopelessness. "Please just give me a chance to explain," he said with a pleading look.

"There's nothing to explain," she said firmly and then turned to Harvey.

"Make him go. He can't be here."

"This is my house and I'm allowing him to stay for as long as he wants to." The determination in her father's voice filled Eliza with rage and she forgot all about her breakfast. She stormed out of the kitchen, taking two stairs at a time to get back to her room.

She heard footsteps ascending the stairs behind her in a rush but she quickened her pace and soon she was in her room. But before she could slam the door shut, it was stopped by a hand in between. William had followed her.

"Eliza, please listen to me," he said, pushing the door open and she let go of the door for him to step inside.

She ignored him and went to her desk to begin rummaging through her books and sheets of paper that were lying untouched since the last morning.

"Eliza, look at me." She heard his request but didn't turn.

"Why are you so upset?" he asked and Eliza's anger flared more. She turned to him and looked him in the eye.

"Why am I upset?" she repeated his question and gave a small laugh. "You are asking me why am I upset? What should I do? Pretend all this is normal and be proud that you are my future husband?"