o8 | a memory of her

William watched his father-in-law as the man poured two cups of coffee and stirred the liquid with a spoon. The kitchen that sheltered them was a quiet place with just the two men staring at each other as one stood at the counter and the other occupied a chair.

Harvey Scott, in his late forties, was nothing like the man William knew. He was so much younger and unlike the father-in-law he knew, this person didn't even slouch. Not in the last. His jet black hair was neatly combed and his silk robe looked like it had just been brought. The air around him had a hint of warning for William which the latter tried best to cope with. Harvey's jaw ticked continuously and his eyes were deeply concentrated, on the coffee or William, the man from the future wasn't sure.

When he woke up, he had thought for a moment he was back in his bed and all of that was just a crazy dream but when his hand instinctively touched his chest where Eliza always laid her head, he was startled to come in contact with his clothing, something that he never wore to bed. Then he saw this man and instantly recognized him as Harvey Scott, only a younger Harvey Scott. William couldn't believe at first but when he checked the calendar, he was taken aback. He was indeed in the past and he had to stay calm.

Harvey handed a mug to William and he took it while passing a small smile to Harvey. He took a sip from his cup and the warmth and taste rushed through his body, filling him with a gentle calmness.

"Thank you," William said and Harvey nodded, looking at the floor.

He hadn't spoken much ever since he understood that William was telling the truth and William wondered what he must be thinking of him.

"You should get some rest," Harvey said, taking his guest by surprise.

William placed the coffee mug back on the counter.

"I can't. I need to go home," he said softly, staring at his coffee.

"But I don't have any Time Machine," Harvey said and the sincerity in his eyes made William believe that Harvey was telling the truth. He closed his eyes, trying to let the words sink in.

He had no home.

"Where will I go?" William asked Harvey, his voice breaking from all the emotions that he was feeling.

"Come with me, bring your coffee."

William stood up and followed Harvey out of a door in the kitchen. The chill night air instantly hit him and he covered his arms, shivering with cold. Harvey Scott led him out of the backdoor of his house to a small hut that was built in the backyard, hardly five feet away, leaving a patch of garden grass in the middle. It was a rusty looking structure which looked like it had been made in the 13th century or earlier. Harvey climbed on the porch and very slowly opened the door. When the door was opened, he ushered William inside.

Stepping in, William was greeted by a mess, a mess like no other. The room was filled with dust and cobwebs. In one corner, lay a small bed and on the other, there was a desk filled with all kinds of papers and writings that seemed like equations which were pasted all around the wall and on a blackboard. William took it all in and gulped at the sight.

"You can stay here," Harvey said and William turned to look at him. "For tonight and then we will see."

"This place stinks," he commented without taking the time to check his words.

"I know. It's my workplace. But here's the thing, boy, there aren't many people who show up at someone's doorstep and claim to be family from the future," Harvey spoke and William nodded quickly, feeling ashamed of his words.

Harvey was right. If he was in Harvey's place, he would have already thrown William out. It was a mercy that Harvey believed in Time travel and other cosmic theories.