Chapter 6: The Use of Items

The Use of Items

In this chapter, I intend to highlight the key reasons Wiccans/witches may use various tools to aid them during their spell work, rituals, cleansing or day to day life.

To reiterate, Wicca and Witchcraft are very flexible paths that're extremely diverse- not everyone may use the items listed in this section and not everyone will them in the specific way I disclose. Different people have different practices.

Altars: a traditionally round table (but can be square or rectangle) that acts as a central point for the rituals and celebrations of the eight Sabbats as well as any rituals or spell work- they may be positioned to face the north or east quarter as these orientations were considered sacred in the ancient times of practice. They may hold any specific or all ritual tools a Wiccan may need during their practice. Altars can also act as a focal point for the worship of God and Goddess through the year and all their different deific forms. Different Sabbats may cause the Altars to be decorated differently e.g. during Yule the altar would traditionally have candles, holly, ivy, and mistletoe- it'd be decorated in red, green, white and gold. Whereas during Samhain, the altar would encompass pictures or belongings of passed loved ones. Or Wiccans may prefer to keep the same Altar constant throughout the year. Altars can also be understood as a shrine to one's path into Wicca and/or Witchcraft.

Some Wiccans may aim to achieve a very naturistic Altar; the table maybe made out of pure wood, it may hold any rocks or feathers or plants they feel drawn too and could have connotations to the 5 elements of Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Spirit. Different practitioners may have separate desires when it comes to the layout of altars; some may split the table in half and have one side as the Goddess' 'side' with the other as the God's 'side' therefore separating any tools or items that may be associated with them on either side of the table. Another layout maybe to have any deific related tools/items to remain at the centre of the Altar and have the remaining tools scattered around. Alternatively, more eclectic and diverse Wiccans maybe choose to scatter their tools and items in whatever way feels right to them.

Athame: a double-edged blunt dagger that is often mistaken to be utilised as a cutting tool but is in fact used to help direct energy. The dagger can help Wiccans to draw circles of protection, for opening and closing spells and other symbols during their practice. The Athame can also enable wiccans/witches to evoke and banish any "unwanted energies" (Wicca living) of events/spirits/past rituals or spell work. Conventionally, some blades were magnetised by the gliding of a magnet up and down the steel blade. The dagger maybe considered to be either a Fire or Air instrument of the elements- this depends on the type of practice one may follow and their mindset.

Bell: may also be known as a Witches bell or a Devil's Driver and is used to communicate intentions into the world by affecting the surrounding energies. When a bell is rung the sound and vibrations emitted have the ability to welcome in positive spirits/energies intended, cleanse a surrounding or banish unwanted spirits/energies. Furthermore, the bell can also charge any items that maybe used during ritual work e.g. crystals, and it can also aid in not only dispersing energy but bestowing too. The bell may also be used to evoke the Goddess during a ritual or spell work, and therefore, is deemed to be connected with the element of Air.

Boline: a knife that is used for physically cutting in Wicca e.g. herbs, plants, carving candles, etc. Unlike the athame, it is single-edged and kept sharp to ensure a precise and clear cut. The boline can be charged and cleansed by other tools such as the Bell or even Moon light- this makes sure the energy within it is kept rich.

Besoms: commonly known as a Witches Broom, acts as a purifying tool; it helps practitioners sweep/clear up after any ritual or spell work- this confirms that all energy is renewed, and no negative energy may remain. According to Wicca Living, its not necessary for the broom to even contact the floor- the act and intention of sweeping away bad energies is enough. Previously, it was typical for the Besom to be left by any doors to ward away any malicious spirits. Besoms are associated with the element of Water. Formerly, Wiccan couples would 'jump the broom' which would've acted similarly to a marriage ceremony "...to ensure fertility, domestic harmony, and longevity." (Encyclopaedia of Wicca and Witchcraft, 2000).