Chapter 5: The Celebrations/Sabbats

The Celebrations

The Wiccan Wheel of the Year is considered to be an extremely important aspect to Wicca as it's based on annual lunar cycles and phases in addition to seasonal changes. Within the calendar, there are 8 Wiccan festivals- also known as Sabbats, each has its own rituals, meanings, and purposes.

Covens can gather during Sabbats to commemorate each ritual by practicing, worshipping and carrying out the ceremonies. Solitary wiccans may honour the Sabbats individually but are receptive to the combine energies from other practitioners globally to celebrate the event.

The Wheel of the Year consists of 4 "Solar holidays" based on celebrating the Sun's annual phases (Wicca Living): 2 solstices (Winter and Summer) then, in between these are the 2 equinoxes (Spring and Autumnal). There are also 4 Earth festivals usually for the agricultural purpose usually found in between the Sun festivals.

Yule, Winter Solstice: December 20-23rd

Yule is associated with the longest and darkest nights of the year. It celebrates the "death and rebirth of the sun" (Exploring Wicca, Updated Edition 2000). The rebirth of the sun allows Wiccans to adapt the belief of starting fresh, thus Yule can bring in emotions of hope for potential events in the new year.

This Sabbat may be known as the rebirth; God has just been reborn hence why sunlight is quite limited- it represents the sun god's early life and lack of strength. The goddess now takes on her mother form, resting from her labour to her son- the sun god. This is why the earth remains calm and barren from the regrowth of crops.

Yule maybe celebrated by lighting candles, decorating in red, green, white and gold, burn yule logs and gather at bonfires whilst singing pagan carols. It is the festival of the return of light.

Imbolc, Winter to Spring cross-quarter: February 1-3rd

Imbolc is known to aid people for preparations for Spring- the growth season as well as celebrate the prolonging of days. Wiccans celebrate this Sabbat to welcome the earth into the Spring equinox from the Winter solstice. Typically, Wiccans buy and light candles all around their homes hence equate to why Imbolc may also be known as the festival of fire or light. Bonfires and fires maybe lit too.

The sun god is now growing but still an infant thus the reason why the days become slightly longer. The goddess is beginning to take on her maiden role and commence her innocent youth stage thereafter leading to fertility thus the soil is just inching back towards fertility.

Wiccans typically see this as a time for cleansing and initiation, rituals tools (more in chapter 6), homes and energies would be cleansed and recharged in solar energy. Seeds maybe planted and candles may also be lit.

Ostara, Spring equinox: March 19- 23rd

Ostara commemorates the end of Winter and the beginning of Spring; the length of day and night are equal. The agricultural ground is at its most fertile therefore encouraging the plantation and growth of seeds. This Sabbat is particularly significant for the beginning of fertility and encouraging the potential of new life.

The goddess urges closer to her fertile maiden prime; disclosing how the earth's soil itself becomes more fertile as the god begins to mature and strengthen his powers further. Resulting in longer days and warmer temperatures.

Ostara is seen as a time to purify yourself and your home, let go of any grudges and renew energies. Wiccans may plant seeds, go for long walks and honour/paint the eggs to symbolise fertility.

Beltane, Spring to Summer cross-quarter: May 1st

Beltane celebrates the wholesome fertility of the soil, animals, and humans as well as the greening of the earth. This Sabbat focuses on the passion, sensuality, and intimacy of making love in order to produce babies 9 months later. Wiccans may dance around the maypole- known for being called the 'fertility festival' as it can ensure the products of a successful harvest.