Chapter 26 - At The Church Step He Waits

Начните с самого начала

"Nah," he shakes his head. My unimpressed features say it all. Petro bursts into laughter, "She's the one. I fear a life without her more than I fear failure. Regardless of how high that bar is, I will reach it and exceed it."

My heart melts. His father raised him well and would be so proud. "I'm proud of you, idiot."

"Yeah, I'm proud of you too, brat," the car comes to a stop. Jumping out, he heads around and opens my door for me. Once again, he extends his hand. "Wait," he halts me. Reaching behind, he brings my veil over. "Apparently, you're meant to have it over your face. Should help keep the flies away," He jokes.

Shaking my head, I interlock my arm with his and start taking careful and slow steps. My heart is beating erratically. The thundering noise echoes in my ears, almost deafening me. My palms are sweaty, and my hands start to shake. I'm barely standing on my wobbly legs that are threatening to drop me any minute.

"Take a breath," Petro notices my state.

"I'm going to be sick, Petro."

"Hey," he stops, standing in front of me, "I have never known you to be shy."

"This is different," my brows knit together. "Around this corner is the rest of my life. Everything right now is perfect. I'm scared something is going to go wrong." I make my fears know in hopes I can compose myself.

Nodding, he assures me, "Nothing is going to go wrong. Raffaele has made sure of that, and I will make sure you don't fall or make a fool of yourself. That man has waited long enough, yeah?"

A deep breath settles me just enough to turn the corner and face everyone. The church sits on the edge of the cliff. Its white walls have minimal shading from the orange sun that's setting in the background. The gentle sea breeze slightly lifts my veil as my heels click on the uneven paved surface. The view of the ocean is stunning, as the sunset reflects off the calm waters. The tranquility of my surroundings settles my crazed nerves, and my weakened legs continue to carry me.

My eyes wander around. Everyone softly smiles, even Paul. He's happy for me, genuinely, and I hope this isn't causing him any hurt. I will always cherish his friendship. Traveling my eyes towards my aunts and sisters, their tears start to run.

"You're beautiful," my aunt Helen cries. Weeks ago, they thought they lost me. My mother and aunt had made a promise to each other once. As sisters, they took an oath that they would care for each other's children as their own. I quickly divert my eyes away. I'm struggling to hold my tears at bay, and seeing them cry will have me falling apart.

My cousins Laz and Nick smile and stand attention, proud, and with honor. My uncle meets my eyes as I proceed to take slow steps. I tighten my hold on Petro. Emotionally battling, my fear of falling enhances.

Thio Kon forms a fist and taps his chest. His brother's absence is painful. To see your daughter as a bride is a bittersweet moment for a father, and his younger brother is missing it. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he lowers his head.

Battling, I sweep my eyes over to Nora holds my son. She smiles proudly at Raffaele and looks back at me with adoration. Not many mothers-in-law are as accepting as her. She loves the challenges and headaches I bring to her son. Oddly enough, she believes his life needs it.

Nathan is adorable, wearing a light grey summer suit. His little bow tie sits a little higher on the right, but the imperfection adds to this moment's perfection. Wiggling out of her arms, he screams, "Mama,"

I needed this. He has me laughing as those little feet take quick steps, and he manages to give his grandmother the slip. Letting go of Petro, I take two steps forward and squat down, catching him as he trips. "Hey, baby."