27- Smiles and Tears

Chapter 27: Smiles and Tears

T r i s t a n

"Hey, babe what-" I broke off, frowning at the sight of an empty bedroom. Stepping inside, I walked over to the bathroom, pushing the door completely open when I noticed it was slightly ajar already.

The mingled smell of medicine and soap hit me the second I stood at the entrance of the bathroom but I tried my best not to gag as I reached out to flick the lights on.

Nothing.

Frowning, I walked back outside and made my way to the kitchen where I could hear the slight clatter of dishes. As I stepped inside, I was met with the sight of Cassie standing over the stove, a bright smile on her face as she bummed to herself.

Normally, I would have smiled myself because for some reason, Cassie's smile was simply contagious and being around her instantly brightened anyone's mood.

Well anyone but Sabrina.

But right now I was too worried to even care about anything else. Ever since that incident in the kitchen, Sabrina's been acting distant. It was like she instantly switched back to this cold and heartless person, who-dare I say- was thirsting for revenge.

Her eyes lacked emotion. She barely smiled. She barely talked.

And she kept on talking about leaving.

"Have you seen Sabrina?" I questioned, wasting no time and she jumped in surprised, turning around to stare at me with wide eyes.

"Oh God, you scared me!" She chuckled before turning back to the stove. "She was in her bedroom a while ago."

"She's not there." My tone lacked any emotion but deep down, I was scared out of my damn mind. What if something happened to her?

That caused Cassiopeia to turn again and her smile faltered slightly and I knew she was thinking the same thing as me. Shrugging, she spoke, her voice much more softer as if she was comforting a little child.

"She's probably with Astrid on the roof-"

"Sabrina's gone." A softer voice spoke and those two words made me feel like my world had just crashed down. I whipped around, my eyes meeting with a pair of saddened brown ones. Instantly, she looked away from my gaze, her eyes wandering to everywhere but me.

Silence filled the house as I stared right at Astrid, not being able to say anything because it's not possible.

"What?" I asked even though I heard her loud and clear. She looked up at the ceiling and I could see the tears glistening in her eyes. Her voice was thick with emotions when she spoke again.

"She just left and she made me promise not to tell you but-but I couldn't hide it!" She threw her hands up in exasperation as tears trickled down her cheeks.

"Astrid, why didn't you stop her?" Cassiopeia's voice was frantic as she pushed me aside to walk over to her sister. I silently stood there, my heart crushing against my ribcage and my hands curled into fists at my side.

"I tried! I tried but she wouldn't listen!" Astrid cried and I watched as her sister pulled her into a comforting embrace. I watched as Astrid broke down in Cassiopeia's arms and all the while her eyes were trained on mine, a heartbreaking look on her face.