22- Cups and Blankets

Chapter 22: Cups and Blankets

*edited*

"I just can't believe it." She mumbled to herself as she sipped on the golden coloured liquid in her cup.

I held the urge to roll my eyes at her dramatic behaviour before looking down at the cup I was holding between my hands, the steaming purple liquid still only halfway empty. I lifted that cup to my lips and let the sweet liquid flow down my throat, calming the pain of my shadows— or whatever they were now.

I looked over at Tristan who was awkwardly looking around the living room. His left hand was placed on the couch next to him and I reached over to my place my hand over his. He jumped from the coldness of my hands before his green eyes met my silver ones.

I forced a small smile to try and calm his nerves and he reciprocated my actions, although I noticed how his smile didn't reach his eyes either.

My heart thudded loudly in my chest and I shifted uncomfortably due to all my nerves acting up. Although the painkiller Astrid brewed helped to soothe the pain that the silver tendrils under my skin brought, it didn't do much to help calm my nerves. Being in Cassiopeia's aggravated presence was enough to put me on edge for quite a while.

Giving his hand a light squeeze, I turned my head to look back at Cassiopeia who was still mumbling to herself, a dark blue blanket draped over her shoulder and her cup clenched tightly between her fingers. Her brown hair cascaded down her shoulders in messy waves, small hairs sticking out all around. She shivered slightly, screwing her brown eyes shut before putting the cup on the table.

She opened her eyes and I was taken aback by the sudden serious expression her face held. A few seconds again she looked like a small, frightened child in the dark but now her eyes held such intensity and seriousness. I felt Tristan shift beside me and out of the corner of my eyes I saw him sit up straighter.

"Forgive me for the way I've been acting." She said, her vocals soft and almost enchanting. "I just haven't seen anything of this sort in my entire life."

I felt you muscles stiffen further and my eyebrows furrowed. I greatly disliked the way she was speaking about me and I wanted to tell her that but didn't get a chance to do so when she began abruptly got up, the blanket falling off of her shoulders and onto the floor.

My eyes widened as she walked around the small coffee table and sat next to me on the couch. Out of instinct, I flinched away from her. I scooted back until my back touched Tristan who quickly placed his hands on my waist.

A look of surprise appeared on Cassiopeia's face but then it was replaced by a small smile.

"It's okay, Sabrina." She said, moving a little closer to me. This time I didn't react—I couldn't. "You can't hurt me."

I frowned. "Don't be so sure of that."

"Just trust me." She said, her eyes lighting up as she held out a hand. I eyed it before raising an eyebrow.

"I just met you. How do you expect me to trust you?" I said, all my manners jumping out the window. Sure, Mcgonagall sent us here to us because she trusted her. That doesn't mean that I have to as well.

"Sabrina." Tristan whispered and I turned my head to look up at him. He looked down at me with an expression that told me that I need to behave. I simply rolled my eyes at him before turning to look at Cassiopeia again. Her hand was still there and I frowned.