05- Brothers and Stars

Chapter 5: Brothers and Stars

*edited*

I shook my head, laughing. Tristan grinned cheekily and brushed his hair away from his forehead. We were sitting outside in the school grounds under the shade of a huge tree.

"I'm bored." Tristan whined, leaning back against the tree. I was laying on my stomach with a book in front of me. I twirled my quill in my fingers as I looked up at him, amused.

"What should I do, then? Find something to entertain yourself." I mumbled, loud enough for him to hear and looked down at my book again. All these spells and words were giving me a serious migraine. I slammed my book shut and turned around, laying flat on my back.

"What is this I am hearing?" I heard a familiar voice ask, anger laced in there voice. I propped myself up on my elbows and Tristan sat up straighter, raising his eyebrows at his brother.

"You got banned from Magical Creatures?" Rolf asked, throwing his hands up in exasperation. I whipped my head in Tristan's direction, my eyes widening. Tristan's eyes flickered from me to his brother.

"Yeah." He answered, running a hand through his hair. I opened my mouth to say something but Rolf beat me to it.

"You got banned because you got in a fight," he stated, placing his hands on his hips.

"What?!" I cried, sitting up. I pointed at Tristan, my jaw on the floor.

"You got in a fight?" I asked, surprised.

"I-uh-yeah." He scratched the back of his neck and gave me a sheepish look. I opened my mouth but closed it again.

"You got in a fight?" I repeated, my voice low. Tristan didn't say anything.

"Care to tell me why and with whom?" I asked.

"Oh, let me tell you." Rolf said, angrily looking at me.

"Rolf stop," Tristan said, pushing himself off the grass. I stood up too.

"Tell me."

"Rolf don't," Tristan warned. His brother ignored him.

"He got in a fight with your beloved brother, Draco." Rolf said. I gasped, not knowing what to say.

"What?" It came out as a whisper.

"Leave right now." Tristan growled at his brother who glared at him. Tristan's hands twitched and his chest heaved up and down. Rolf turned to me.

"Stay away from Tristan, Sabrina." He warned.

"I said leave!" Tristan said, taking a step forward. Rolf glared at me before trending on his heal and stalking away. I stood there, staring at his retreating figure. I looked down at the grass, scowling.

"You got in a fight?" I turned to Tristan. "With Draco?"

He stayed silent, studying my face. I frowned, looking down at the grass again.

"Why?"

"It's not important, Sab." He said, his voice low.

"Yes, it is." I urged.

"No it's not." He said firmly. "Please just let this go, will you?"

I nodded slowly. "Okay."

***

I couldn't get my mind off what I heard this morning. Tristan never got in fights. He hated violence more than anything.

I turned over in bed and stared at the ceiling. I sighed, sitting up and running a hand through my hair. I pushed the duvet off my body and swung my legs off the bed. I decided not to wear my shoes as they made a lot of sound. I slowly opened the room to my dorm and stepped out into the empty hallway. I looked around, careful not to bump into any teacher.

I carefully made my way up a bunch of stairs. I went down the hallway and up another staircase, looking around in case someone was following me. I climbed the last set of stairs and started walking down the empty hallway. The hallway was dimly lit and deserted. No one ever came here.

It was like a getaway place for me. A place for me to get my thoughts together.

I reached the end of the hallway, facing an old door. I grunted as I pushed the door open. It made a creaking noise as it swung open. I stepped out into the roof and shivered as a breeze hit me. I moved forward, resting my hands on the railing. I stared at the school grounds which looked really small from up here. I tilted my head upwards, studying the stars.

I rubbed my bare arms as another cold breeze passed by. I stared out in the distance as I tried to pull myself together.

Something inside me told me that things would never get better. Something inside me knew that the storm was near. Something told me that everything would change.

Tristan. He never got in fights. He hardly ever got mad. He was always calm. He hated violence more than anything. He promised he would never hide things from me, yet I felt as if he was. It felt like there was more to what he was telling me. It felt like he was shutting me out, pushing me away.

"What are you doing out here?" I turned around so fast, I could have snapped my neck.

"Tristan." I placed a hand over my left chest, feeling my fast heartbeat. His hair were sticking out in all directions and his clothes were wrinkled.

"Sab, it's freezing out here." He walked over to me and shrugged off his jacket, placing it on my shoulders. I wanted to argue and give it back but I knew it would be no use. I turned back around and tipped my head up, staring at the dark sky.

"What's on your mind?" He asked, coming to stand next to me. He had his hands in his pockets, his eyes studying me.

"You're hiding things from me." It was more of a statement. I turned my head to look at him. "Again."

I felt angry but my voice was calm. Vulnerable.

He let out a breath and played with the sleeve of his shirt. An old habit.

"You've changed, Sab." He croaked.