Round 5: Entries

Daniella Harmus

(NOT SUBMITTED THIS ROUND)

Lyla Summers

"What is it?" asked Lyla. She reached for the letter the first year was giving her.

The boy handed it to her. "Professor told me to give it to you." He shrugged, then hurried off.

James peered over her shoulder as she opened the red seal. Inside, a peice of parchment lay. 

Mr. Potter and Ms. Summers

I have been informed that you two have been on school grounds after curfew. This type of behavior is not tolerated at Hogwarts. 25 points each will be deducted from your house cup. Mr. Flich will meet you at the front of your common room at 8 o'clock to escort you to detention. 

Sincerly, 

Headmistress McGonagall

"That little-" 

Lyla elbowed him, hard. "Language." 

"I was going to say snitch," James said, rubbing his ribs. "I should've known Scorpius was going to turn us in." 

Lyla looked down at the letter, re-reading. They'd both lost 25 points, 50 in total. That let Ravenclaw take the lead, and Gryffindor back to second. She grabbed Jame's wrist, "Come on."

Lyla led him to the Great Hall, where four towering hourglasses stood on pedestals. Sure enough, there were noticably less rubies on the bottom of Gryffindor's timepeice. Sparkling sapphires rested on the bottom of Ravenclaw's hourglass. Only yesterday they'd been neck and neck, now Ravenclaw pulled the lead. They both exchanged simultaneous worried glances. 

"Strange, isn't it?" 

Dani stood behind them in black witch robes, staring at the hourglasses with a perplexed expression on her face. She stood with her hand stroking an invisible beard and the other in her pocket. 

"I wonder who lost so many points. The entire house is mad at them, you know," said Dani.

"Oh really?" Lyla faked wonder. "Who do you think did it? Are you mad at them?"

Dani nodded her head, "Of course! We've had the cup 3 times in the row. I'm defintely mad at whoever's gonna cost us the cup." 

"There must be a way to regain those points, right?" James asked, joining the conversation without permission. 

Dani shrugged. "Maybe? What's wrong? What's with the twenty questions?"