WYM9

"Miss, honestly I have no idea once I wanted to be a lawyer but that's slow money you know? And all i want to be in life is rich. I understand sometimes you can't be happy and rich but I'd rather be rich you know."

The form times discussion today was the future, our GCSE's were months away and after this it would be A-levels and then university. Many people such as me had their lives mapped out and planned, but in the world we live in today our future is not always guaranteed.

"I understand that Jerell but if you want to be rich you have to be smart. You won't get anywhere in life without a degree and how can you get a degree if you don't have good GCSE'S or A-levels for you to be accepted into a good university?"

We continued to argue about jobs, politics and further education until it was time for break.

"Goodbye class and make sure to do some research on what you want to be in life".

I picked out my bags and ran to the canteen i was starving, I met up with Chyna and bought a sausage roll with orange juice with bits, nothing better than orange juice with bits.

"Yo Eden's party was live you know." I agreed with Temi and sat down on the table, greeting Nana , Kobi and Jabari.

Jabari. 

He half heartily nodded at me and went back to scrolling on his phone.

K.

I rolled my eyes drank my orange juice and eat my roll simultaneously. I don't know what Jabari's problem is but he was beginning to irritate me. 

"Hannah you alright yeah?"

"yeah i'm good thanks" I carried on eating my roll and disposed of my paper napkins and empty tropicana bottle. I brought out my phone and scrolled through instagram. I was tagged in various pictures from different people who were at Eden's party. I accepted many requests and replied to comments under me and Chyna's selfie. I was beginning to get more popular around the area and nearly hit 800 followers, that might be rubbish compared to others, but i only had instagram for just more than a month. 

***********

It was hitting December and everyone was now hitting the library preparing for year eleven mocks, I was revising everyday non-stop with Chyna. I had been on the phone with Jericho and was proud to find out that he was revising everyday to, I had faith in him that he would be passing all his GCSE's and get away from the "hood" life.

 I was back home and so was my mum, dad and Demi. My dad brought me various stuff from Nigeria including shea butter for my hair.I was a happy girl. No one dared to tell my dad what happened before to me and my mum in  the house because we know it would cause extra wahalla. Everyone tip toed around the subject like broken shards of glass. 

Until he overheard a conversation with me and my mother. 

"How dare you Demi !" My brother was pinned against the wall, my fathers heavy dark fingers coiled around his neck. 

"Dad, you don't unders-"

He was cut off with a sharp blow to his jaw, me and mother winced at the cracking sound. I ran to Demi's aid but was stopped by my mother.

"I give you food. and break my back. for you. and you go.and almost. almost.get your family killed!" Every fragment of his sentence was interrupted by another heartless blow to Demi's now bloody face. I wailed on the floor begging my mother to do something but nothing. 

"MUUUMMM ! do something please." I knew Demi would never hit my dad back even though i knew he was strong enough to, it was up to my mum to stop this.

She quickly walked up and before she could even touch my dad. He turned around and slapped her, that was enough for Demi to react. He jumped onto my dead giving punch after punch, I screamed and tried to pull him off. 

"DEMI PLEASE, HE IS .. IS OUR DAD " I choked on my tears and waited. 

Waited for Demi to stand over my dad's nearly dead body.

Waited for Demi to pack his things.

Waited for Demi to leave and never been seen again.

No one died that night. But my insides most definitely did.

I picked myself up and went to my room. I knew below me my mum was probably caressing my father , apologizing even though she did nothing wrong. I don't know what he said to her that night, but she was weak. My loud , strong, passionate mother was now a coward. He did something to her because when i went to hug her she flinched, her eyes to the floor. 

"FUMNI, BRING ME RICE NOW." She winced at a voice she once swooned over, a voice she once loved.

"Hannah, you have to leave."

"FUNMI?"

"You are my child and I will not put you in the dangers of my husband. Pack your things and leave at once do you understand. Look for Demi I have transferred money into your account." 

"WAIT I AM COMING TO MEET YOU NOW " He was walking downstairs, my mum gave me a bag full of food and money, ushering me to the conservatory door.

I stood there helplessly as my dad attacked my mother,wincing as he pounded her and was disgusted as he left her on her knees. He was a monster, his dark brown eyes were black with no remorse and his large brown lips twisted into a snarl. My mothers once joyous eyes filled with sorrow and sadness. Her shiny brown button nose leaking with blood. This was all my fault if I had left her own alone she would of made the rice on time. I ran upstairs, grabbed my stuff and left.

I ran up the driveway, crossed the main road and ran. I fumbled to the ground as i hit into a hard chest.

"Demi?"

"Na b come with me." I was picked up and swung over a shoulder. But i couldn't fight back. I was gone.