Exploring

It's been a week now since Elena died, and shes discovered a few things being on the other side. She can touch certain things, but oddly, only when no ones around. Nothing electronic, so she can't contact her friends, she tried writing a note and leaving it where they'd see it but once she put the note down it literally disintegrated. 

Her friends have tried contacting her but it just never works. She's tried everything. So now she wonders around throughout the day, checking in on her friends progress, talking to herself, seeing what the latest gossip is around town, and by night she drinks at the grill all alone.

Its the middle of the day, and Elena is bored out of her mind so she starts walking through town square until she finds a good spot under a tree, and just lays in the shade watching people live their completely normal lives.

"This sucks. Why can't being dead be more fun" she sighs "Like whats the point of being dead if you can't even haunt people and you're all alone!"

She'd spent the last three days trying to find out if anyone could see or hear her, and looking for Jenna or any other supernatural she knew that had died. But she came up empty handed.

"I don't understand why there's no other ghosts.. it makes no sense" she continued to grumble until she felt eyes on her, as if someone was staring at her.

She stood up quickly, looking in every direction to see if anyone was looking at her, "That's it, i'm going crazy! That must be it, I am going fucking crazy!" she yelled throwing her hands in the air.

People continued to walk by her, through her, and around her continuing on with their lives, but then she heard something she never thought she'd hear.

"Katerina?" a male voice said from behind her

Elena spun on her heels only to come face to face with a  man she'd never seen before in her life. She looked him up and down, taking in his appearance. He was over half a head taller than her, with short brown hair and brown eyes, a thin top lip with a full bottom one, strong jaw line, and a lean but fit body. His outfit looked quite outdated, he wore old dress shoes with black slacks, a green button down shirt tucked in with the sleeves rolled up and a black vest over it, but strangely he looked..good..really good.

She looked back up at his face after staring him up and down multiple times to see he was smirking down at her with amusement in his eyes. Elena took a step closer to the man so their chests were almost touching and stared the man in the eyes, "You..can see me?" she whispered hopefully.

"And you can see me.. interesting" the man spoke back "it's been quite some time Katerina.. few hundred years i'd say, no?"

Elena stared at the man in confusion as he called her the wrong name again, "Katerina? You know Katherine?" She questioned, realizing how close she'd stepped towards this mystery man, she took two steps back to distance herself.

"Oh don't play games Katerina darling" the man replied taking a step towards her to close the distance between them again.

"I'm not Katherine! God I hated being compared to her when I was alive, and now even when i'm dead people think i'm her, this is ridiculous!" Elena said angrily to the man poking her finger into his chest "Ever heard of a damn doppelganger?!"

The man stared wide eyed at the girls outburst, grabbing her hand infront of his chest, he pulled her against him grabbing her chin with his other hand, she gasped, surprised by his action and tried to pull away but his grip was iron tight.

"That's impossible!" he snarled "Stop lying, Katerina never had any children so there's no way for there to be another doppelganger!"

"She did have a kid! I'll prove it! Just let me go and i'll show you." She yelled back at him "My names Elena! Elena Gilbert!"

The man stared hard at her then released her, "Well come on then, show me this proof Elena, lead the way"

Elena glared at the man and started walking ahead of him, "Follow me, we have to go to Ric's apartment" she growled at him "The first person I find on the other side and he's a dick, just great!"

"I heard that" he said from behind her, she looked over her shoulder to make sure he was following then flipped him off.