I Know You Feel Things

They stayed sitting on the rocky sand in complete silence for awhile so Elena could try calming down; her head hidden in his chest and hands gripping his shirt still slightly shaking. 

Kol didn't know what to do in this kind of situation, so he stayed rubbing slow circle's on her side's with his thumbs; not saying a word. Oddly the silence wasn't awkward at all, it was quite peaceful in his opinion. 

He felt Elena shift a little, and looked down at her to see she had turned her head and was looking out at the quarry. The look in her eye's was filled with so much raw emotion, it tugged at his heart.

Slowly, Kol gripped her sides tighter and picked her up; turning her so she was completely facing the quarry with her back against his chest. He then wrapped his arms around her waist and gave her a gentle squeeze, attempting to comfort her.

Elena sucked in a breath at his actions, and swung her head around; meeting his gaze to try and decipher what he was thinking in this moment. She didn't know what she was going to see when she looked into his eye's, but what she saw really was not what she'd been expecting.. 

Sorrow. Pity. Remorse. Understanding.

She never thought she would see such emotion in his eye's, but as quickly as she seen it, it disappeared in a flash. His wall's were put back up and his eye's turned void of any emotion at all.

"Do you like looking at my face that much, darling?" Kol asked as he threw his signature smirk at her.

"Why do you do that?" She asked as she squinted her eye's at him and then turned back around; facing the quarry again.

Kol frowned at the back of her head and then spoke warily, "What do you mean? Why do I do what?"

"You act kind.. as if you actually care and I can see it in your eye's that you do but then it's like you just turn it off and put these walls up.." She replied without looking back at him; keeping her eye's focused on the water.

She felt him tense for a second while she talked before he let out a throaty laugh that made his chest vibrate against her back.

"I'm not kind, and I do not care about anything Elena.. I am Kol Mikaelson, the happy homicidal maniac" He told her chuckling in a strained voice.

He hated all the nickname's he had gotten over the centuries because of his poor self control and raging blood lust.. But he just couldn't help himself when he was a living vampire, blood was intoxicating. The power to just take someone's life so easily was always such a rush for him; a pure shot of adrenaline, and the high from that was greater than any high you could get from any kind of drugs. He knew that for a fact from his younger vampire years.

He'd gotten so good at hiding his emotions, that even his family couldn't figure out what he was thinking or feeling, so why could she see right through him sometimes.. He had never had to fight against his blood lust while he was over here either, so what is it that's so different about this one girl..

Elena hadn't spoken for a few moments; making Kol think he had gotten her to believe him, but then he heard her sigh and she placed her hands on his that were still wrapped around her middle.

"I don't believe you" She said as she stroked his hands with her thumb, he opened his mouth to speak but didn't have the chance to say anything as she started talking again.

"You feel things Kol, everyone does.. I know other vampire's who think that the switch to turn off their humanity is real and maybe it is at first for awhile.. but I know that once you get so old, you lose the ability to turn it off.. so why are you pretending not to feel anything when you so clearly do.." Elena said in a low voice

"I don't darling, I'm not pretending and whoever you heard that from is full of absolute shit" He huffed at the back of her head.

"You could have simply let me drown.. but you didn't, you gave me CPR and brought me back.. you could have left me in the water to die all over again Kol, if you don't feel things then why were you so desperate to save me?" She questioned him as she turned around in his arms so she was on her knee's facing him.

Kol kept his arms around her, though he didn't know why. He couldn't even explain why to himself.. all he knew was that touching her was the closest thing he had felt to alive in a long time.. He looked into her eye's and could see the determination and curiosity in them, he didn't want to answer her questions.. didn't want to explain himself, so he looked away instead.

"I heard you.. when I thought I was drowning with them all over again.. I thought I was just hearing things in my head, but thinking about it now I know it was you. I heard how desperate your voice sounded as you tried saving me.." Elena told him; waiting for him to meet her gaze again, but when he didn't she continued talking to him.

"Emotion's are our strongest power.. I know you probably think that feeling things make's you weak, but it doesn't, it make's you stronger. You cared enough to save me and we only just met.." She trailed off as she placed her hand on his cheek; turning his head so he'd meet her eye's.

"I get that you might not want to explain anything to me because you don't know me.. but thank you, Kol, for caring enough to save me.." When she finished talking, Kol watched as she leaned in and wrapped her arms around his neck; hugging him tightly.

He was surprised by all her word's and that she was hugging him right now, No one had ever said anything like that to him before.. How could she see right through him like that; It made no sense..

Kol was pulled from his thoughts when he felt her pulling back from hugging him slightly, and was about to remove his arms from around her waist when he felt soft, warm lips press against his cheek lightly.

His eye's flew wide.

'Did she just.. kiss me on the cheek? Even though she was calling me a pervert earlier?' He thought to himself and start laughing quietly.

Elena blushed lightly before speaking shyly; without looking at his face, "What's so funny..?"

"Oh nothing, Just that you were calling me a grabby pervert earlier and now you're here.. throwing your arms around me and kissing me" He said smirking at her blushing face; trying to meet her eye's.

"Ha-ha, very funny.. But if I remember correctly, you're the one who hasn't been able to keep their hands off me since we met, and you kissed me first!" Elena shot back; her voice a teasing tone as she looked up and met his gaze.

"CPR doesn't count, but if you want a real kiss darling.. you just have to ask" He teased back and pulled her closer to him so their face's were mere inches apart.