A Bad Memory

The car was filling with freezing cold water, chilling her to the bone. She looked around the car  frantically, her eye's landing on her father in the driver's seat; banging his elbow against the window desperately.

"Dad? What's happening?" Elena asked pulling on her door handle desperately.

"We went off the bridge.. but we're going to be just fine.. I just have to break the window" her father said trying to reassure her.

Grayson started hitting the window more frantically as the frigid water kept rising higher and higher, reaching their chests. But the window just wasn't breaking.

Her eye's fell on her mother, passed out in the passenger seat, "Mom?! Are you okay? Mom!" She yelled, reaching forwards grabbing her mother's shoulders and shaking her.

Her father's head snapped to the side seeing his beloved wife; un-moving in the seat beside him, "Miranda? Miranda honey, can you hear me?" He asked slowly, reaching for her. His hands just reached her head when his seat belt jammed; preventing him from moving any closer. Grayson slowly slid his right hand down to her neck, checking for a pulse.

"Dad, is she okay?" Elena asked with tears flowing down her face.

He took a shaky breath in, slowly letting it out and turned to his daughter; his eye's full of sorrow and shook his head before speaking, "She.. She has no pulse.. I can't help her while we're in here, we have to get out and get her to shore."

Elena could feel her body getting weaker by the minute as the ice cold water rushed into the car more quickly, reaching her chin. She gave her father a determined look and started hitting her own elbow off the window beside her; desperate to save her mother's life.

What felt like seconds, but was actually minute's had passed, and the water was about to go completely over their heads. Grayson looked back desperately at his daughter, watching her hit the window over and over again.

"Elena, take a deep breath, the water is going to go over our heads any second!" He pleaded to her as the water rose even more. Taking a deep breath together, the water had finally risen above their heads.

They both beat the windows as hard as they could, minutes were passing but the glass still wouldn't shatter. Elena's lungs were burning, the lack of oxygen was making black dots dance across her vision.

Realizing that they weren't going to be able to break the windows, Grayson looked back at his daughter and grabbed her hand; shaking his head to tell her that it was over, they weren't going to make it out.

Elena nodded her head in understanding, and they both mouthed three words to each other before everything went black..

"I love you"

**

Kol swam to the shore of the quarry with Elena in his arms, she had passed out once they were engulfed in the water. Carrying the girl in his arms out of the water, he set her down on the rocky sand.

"Elena! Elena, wake up!" Kol yelled as he shook the unconscious doppelganger, he bent down towards her face; listening to see if she was still breathing. She wasn't.

He started pushing on her chest, trying to get her dead heart pumping again. 

"Come on Elena, it may not matter if you die on the real other side cause you'll just come back over and over again, but it's different here. You have to wake up" He told her un-moving body.

'Bloody hell, I didn't think the drop would kill her! She doesn't even know about the weird rules over here that the witches made.. If she dies here, she's dead for real. No other side at all, just pitch black darkness!' Kol roared in his head.

It felt like he had been pushing on her chest forever, and she still wasn't waking up.. Taking a deep breath, he stared at her for a second.

"I need to know why I can feel you.. Why your smell is so intoxicating.. damn it, don't try and hit me because of this" He whispered to her.

Lowering his face down again, he grabbed her chin gently tilting her head backwards, and placed his mouth on hers; opening her lips with his and breathing into her. He kept switching from chest compression's, to blowing into her mouth for what felt like hours but had only been a couple of minutes.

Kol was beginning to feel helpless, and decided he'd try only once more; slowly he placed his mouth on hers and blew a desperate breath into her lungs.

Elena felt soft lips against her own, and air being pushed into her lungs, mixing with the water she had choked down. Her fingers dug into the rocky sand, and she bolted up; knocking Kol off her as she leaned to her left, coughing up water and gasping for air as she sobbed.

He was beside her again in seconds, helping the crying girl stay up right by letting her lean her back against his chest and rubbing slow circle's on her sides with his thumbs, "Shh, It's okay, you're okay now" He cooed in her ear as she continued gasping.

"I saw them.. I relived the whole thing all over again.. It- it felt so real" Elena sobbed as she turned, hiding her face in his chest and gripping his shirt in her hands.

Surprised by her actions and not understanding what she meant, he wrapped his arms around her to try and calm her down.

"What are you talking about Elena?" Kol asked softly.

Taking a deep breath, she spoke in a quiet, shaky voice, "My parents.. On May 29th, 2009.. They came to pick me up from some stupid party, and.. and when we were driving home our car went off Wickery Bridge.. My mom she died once we hit the water.. but my dad and I were still alive, we kept trying to break the windows; hitting them as hard as we could.. bu-but they just wouldn't break.. the water kept rushing in and it went over our heads.. then everything went black.. no one knew how I survived,  but Stephen had saved me.. neither of my parent's had made it.." Once she finished she had stopped sobbing and was only sniffling, shaking a little.

Kol was silent for a moment, unsure of what to say, but Elena raised her head, looking around at her surroundings then met his eye's and spoke again curiously, "Wait.. Kol, how did I survive drowning in the quarry?"

He stared at her before turning his head away, "I saved you" He said quietly.

"I got that part.. but how? The only way to help someone who drowned is.." She said trailing off as realization hit her like a train. 

Elena's eye's nearly popped out of their sockets and she grabbed Kol's chin, turning his head so his eye's met hers. She saw the surprise on his face when she grabbed him, but he quickly masked it with a nonchalant look.

"Yes, I had to give you mouth to mouth Elena" He sighed; trying to look away from her eye's but she wasn't letting him. He felt nervous, but couldn't understand why.

"I felt it.." She said as she raised her free hand to her lips, "I remember feeling soft lips on mine"

"You think I have soft lips, darling?" Kol said trying to tease her to get her off the topic of him saving her life.

Her face lit a flame at her mistake of word choice, knowing he would probably never let her live this down for as long as they were around each other.

"Shut up.. I didn't mean to say it like that" Elena sighed at him; pushing his shoulder, but a thought occurred to her at that moment.. He saved her, why?