The Overprotective Brother and the Little Cat

I hated the fact that I had fallen under Miku's trap to protect my friends' happiness, but there was nothing I could do about it. So I had stopped releasing songs for a while. Don't get me wrong, I was still writing songs and singing them privately, but I hadn't published anything since Song of the Eared Robot. I found that I was perfectly content living like this. I mean, all I had really wanted was to sing, not to be famous.

"Teto? Teto, are you listening to me? Kasane Teto!"

I blinked. I was sitting in the kitchen, and Momo was sitting next to me, snapping me out of my deep thought. "Sorry, what?"

"I said I've been thinking about covering this Miku song," she said, motioning to her computer. "Here, take a listen."

She started to play the song and I was sick of it after only 30 seconds, but I listened to the full thing.

"Wow," I said after it was over. "That was... something else."

Her face fell. "You don't like it, do you?"

"I never said that!" I stammered, not wanting to hurt her feelings. "I... i-it just... well..."

"No matter," Momo insisted, looking determined. "I was going to make mine sound different anyway. See, the words are obviously very easy, but I won't keep up changing the melody like she did."

"Honestly, by the end of the song I thought she could've passed for a trumpet." I commented.

She nodded. "Instead, I'll just make the instrumentals more fun. It's not really about the words, it's about the timing of when you say them."

"What's this song called, anyway?"

"Uh.... Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya? You've gotta admit, it's a pretty fitting name for the song."

I chuckled. "How original."

Momo looked over the computer and at her brother, who was preparing afternoon tea. "What do you think, Momotaro?"

He looked up from the stove. "Hm? Oh, your song. I think you should go for it if you want to."

Momo began to sing the song quietly, getting the timing of the "nya"s on point. "Hey, you're pretty good," I admitted.

"Oh, thanks!" she flushed.

Just then, Uta walked in. "Hey guys, whatcha doing?"

"Good afternoon, Utane-chan!" Momotaro waved from the stove.

She blushed but smiled at him as she walked over to us, resting her chin on Momo's head. "So, what are we working on?"

"A song cover," Momo replied, wiggling out of her grasp. "And don't do that. You're messing up my hat."

Uta leaned forward until her face was an inch from Momo's, grinning widely. "I'll do what I want, Pinku." Then she grabbed the sides of Momo's face and her head came off with a pop.

"Hey! Give me that! I need my head!" Momo's arms tried to reach for her head.

"No you don't! You're a robot!" Uta ran off with Momo's head shouting between her arms, the rest of her body chasing after her.

"Those girls," Momotaro chuckled from the stove. "They're best friends, you know."

"Sometimes Uta is kind of... mean," I responded, shutting Momo's laptop.

"That's just her way of showing Momo she likes her. Besides, I think it's pretty cute~"

"What did you just say?" A deep voice that sounded like Uta startled us both.