The New Utauloid

~Miku's POV~

"Stop! Stop laughing!" Rin grasped my arm, tears forming in her eyes. "It's not funny! Teto could be hurt!" When it was clear I wouldn't listen to her, she turned to Meiko. "She's going to be okay, right?"

The look in Meiko's eyes was somewhat guilty, and she turned her head away, staring down at her brown boots. In a steady voice, she said, "I warned you that this might happen, Rin."

This brought on a fresh set of sobs from Rin. "What do you mean? It's a just a prank? She's not really going to sing with us?"

Meiko nodded, still not daring to look up. "They never even started on her voicebank, and they never plan to. The whole thing was fake."

"But what will happen to her?" Rin had collapsed against her brother, who didn't bother to say anything. "What's she going to do?"

Meiko sighed, receiving a hug from her own man. "I don't know."

I distastefully looked around at the pitiful lot of them, sitting around and hugging like they were mourning a great loss. "Oh, lighten up. It was just a joke."

Rin turned her head to face me. "But Teto is a living, breathing being, just like us!"

I shrugged. "You all are acting like she was someone you loved. We didn't know her. Besides, it's not like she's dead."

"We may never see her again!"

Meiko sighed again, putting a hand in Rin's shoulder. "Let it go, Rin. I don't expect her to understand."

I glared at Meiko. "What is that supposed to mean?"

She stared at me for a second. It was clear she wasn't going to say anything out loud, even though she knew exactly what she wanted to say. She wouldn't say it to my face, though. Chicken, I thought.

I turned on my heel. "Whatever. Let's go." Len obediently followed, Kaito trailed behind him and grabbed Meiko's hand. She reluctantly followed. Rin trudged behind us.

The scientists had fled from the stage, and the crowd had been murmuring loudly. The people soon realized there was nothing they could do and they left. Stupid humans, I thought.

The only way to exit the room was the door right by the stage. As we filed out, Rin stopped and glanced at the stage, as if she wished she could help Teto. "Rin!" I barked. "Let's go."

Rin sighed. "Yes, Miku." She turned towards the stage once more and whispered, "Bye, Teto."

"Rin! We're leaving with or without you!"

~Teto's POV~

I'm not sure how long I was crying backstage. The scientists ran off the stage, cackling, after they pushed me off. The crowd started shouting and trying to protest, but security guards had to come in and keep people from climbing on the stage.

At least they care about what happens to me, I thought. Too bad there's nothing they can do.

This thought led into new worries. What would happen to me? Would I stay at Vocaloid Production Services forever? And if I did, would they treat me like a pet or a prisoner? And what if they didn't keep me? Where would I go? Would they just throw me out on the street and expect me to fend for myself? If I can't find anywhere to go and become homeless, then what would I do? What if-

"Rin!" Miku's clear voice rang out in the empty room. "Let's go!" I couldn't believe the Vocaloids were still here. Did they care about me? No, there's no way they do. Miku laughed at me.