Chapter 24

Chapter 24

My leg shakes with the effort not to get up and pace. What have I done? I can't handle the wait, not knowing if she is okay. They came as fast as they could when I called Scott to explain what had happened. Dominic and Luca arrived first still being close by, they didn't leave the area after yesterday, lingering. The pack doctor reassured us she would be fine but it didn't stop the anger of a father set and determined to destroy what dare to harm his daughter. It didn't stop until Barret and Dominic's beta hauled him off me. My body still aches from his lesson on who he is to her but I welcome the pain. It's deserved.

Burying my face in my hands I can't handle this any longer. I can't feel her in her unconscious state. I can't tell how she feels, if she is in pain, when she will wake, if she is happy or angry with me, if she still wants me.

Coming to a stand my legs move on their own accord to reach the staircase leading to her. A low growl has my foot stopping on the first step. "I don't know if you are that determined or incredibly stupid." Alpha Dominic's voice is calm and cool but his eyes hold his rage when I meet them. "Probably both," answering him as I take the stairs two at a time he remains silent while his beta gives a low chuckle in amusement.

Pushing the door to her room open slowly Sophia still lays resting in her bed. She looks peaceful laying there but I wish she would open her eyes for me. I have to know she is okay. "She will be fine Beta Cage, I assure you." The doctor is packing up his bag on the dresser to leave.

My jaw ticks "How can you be so sure?" It's an accusation.

He looks me over but I pay him no attention. Taking the chair from her vanity and setting it next to her bed before sitting down and taking her hand in mine. I feel a spark run through me at the contact of our skin. Bring it to my lips pressing a kiss to the back before rubbing it against my cheek.

Wake up.

"I have researched enough to know. This is normal. Her body just can't handle all of the excitement and stress at the same time as a wolf can. Where we would get tired she got overwhelmed, all she needs is rest and she will be okay for now. This isn't the concerning part of this." He informs me and I stiffen before turning fully towards him.

"For now? This gets worse?" I can't hide my anger.

Someone in the pack knew something and did not inform me beforehand. The doctor trains like the rest of us, it isn't like he went without seeing me and he has waited until now to tell me these things. "She is human born but she will shift. I don't know when though, her case is unusual given one parent being a wolf. An alpha at that. It could be today, it could be a week. Most happen by the new moon so I am sure it won't take too long. Just know it's going to be a lot more painful for her."

It's a quick motion he didn't see coming. Pinning him to the wall off his feet he struggles to breathe as his eyes widen in fear. The wolf descends. His voice is loud enough to shake these walls, the doctor's body doesn't stop shaking when it ends. "You waited this long to tell me." My voice is distorted by the mingling of my vocal cords with the wolf. He doesn't speak, he can only choke trying to bring in the air to his lungs. The door slams open and I feel Scott's hands trying to move me. "Stop, Cage, release him." He demands me but we don't listen, applying more pressure instead. "He knew." It's hardly spoken the wolf pushes forward full now as I feel my mouth morph and my nails elongate to dig into his flesh.

All I see is red.

"Enough." It's Luca this time trying to halt my onslaught. I can't see him through my blurring tunnel vision, one thought on my mind. "Cage, he's the only one who knows somethin' about what's goin' on. If angthin' happens to my sister, we may just need him. we can't use him if he's dead." He is trying to coax me into releasing my grip. Instinct and logic battle in my mind.