Chapter 12

Frozen in my place at the sight of her, I cannot move, can’t speak. I’m trying to stop from breaking my teeth with the pressure applied form grounding them down onto each other. My anger boils to combustion. What is she thinking coming here? She will destroy the small bond I have already managed to create with Sophia.

Kirsten walks forward with a cheerful bounce to her step completely ignoring the anger I know she can sense coming from me. “Hey, Cage.” She bats her lashes with a sense of flirtation in her voice. I have to remind myself punching females is frowned upon in our pack. The wolf puts out his threatening tone that I have to cover with a continuous coughing fit.

I can feel Sophia’s hand on my back, fingers spread open trying to cover as much space while she moves it firmly against me. “Hotshot, you okay?” She asks concern etching its marks in her features. I can’t stop my cover yet I’m still trying to gain control. Kirsten’s voice interrupts us with its offensive pitch, “Oh, sorry, didn’t see you standing there.” She fakes a sweet tone while looking down at Sophia.

My coughing gets worse.

Sophia doesn’t miss a beat, giving Kirsten a once over before dismissing her completely. “Let’s get you a drink before you choke and I have to give you CPR.” She directs her attention back to me. Nodding I follow her to her clinic while Kirsten trails behind us. Glaring back at her over my shoulder she has her head bowed looking at her hands clasped together in front of her.

The building is cold when we walk in, she goes straight to the fridge to get me a bottle of water. Handing it to me I let our fingers touch, lingering while I tell her thanks. She gets slightly flustered at the feel of sparks sent through her, I can see the electricity flash through her storming eyes. For a moment the world fades while we just gaze at one another until Kirsten once more interrupts us. Her very presence offends me.

She clicks her tongue “thanks for the help Stephanie, let’s go Cage you have to show me around, you know, so I can get to know things.” She steps into my bubble with intent, I can’t show her my intent and she is using that to her advantage.

I can feel the energy around Sophia shift to green, she is chewing the inside of her cheek and breathing deeply in and out through her nose while she glares at Kirsten. Her blink is long before forcing a smile. “Actually since Cage is still new here he can’t show you around, but you are more than welcome to join us today. He is assigned here for the day to help me with my paperwork and anything else I may need him to do for me since his guide isn’t here today. Names Sophia.” Her voice drips with sincerity and I almost believe she means it. Almost. The overload of tension in the air is getting to the point of aggression. If Sophia was one of us she would have already torn Kirsten’s jugular from her neck. Her aura is overwhelming me. The wolf is drinking it in, he is fully hers. I can’t stop my tongue from licking my lips, I never thought I would feel this kind of power coming from her. Kirsten must feel it as well because she slants her head down in submission with a small nod and meekly states “okay”.

Sophia raises her lip in a slanted smile, “great,” she responds before turning away and moving to her filing cabinet. Fuck. My eyes hone in on every inch they can consume of her body, the urge to show her our appreciation mixes with the powerful need to dominate. My pants feel constricted. Groaning I have to turn towards the wall, chugging the water to quench the rising thirst.

Unsatisfied.

I hear the thud of stacked papers drop on the table before she begins to order Kirsten around. “Come on Hotshot you are helping me with something else.” She beckons me with her finger while she walks to the back room. I’m okay with following behind while my eyes travel down.