Chapter 7

Sophia is already at her front door with a shotgun in hand and the black dog barking aggressively at her side. Other than his silhouette from the light at their backs, his white sharp teeth are all I can see. He growls out before sniffing the air, barking towards the tree. If I was a human he would be terrorizing. She doesn't shake or stumble as she moves forward. Only glancing down to not trip on the front stairs of the porch.

Luckily for me, I was able to shift before she spotted me but now I'm afraid to leave the bush I'm hiding in, even in wolf form if I move she might shoot me. The angry look on her face tells me she will shoot at me without a second thought to it, her steady hands, stance and heart rate tell me she can.

The wolf's tongue darts out to lick his muzzle but I have to focus on holding him back and staying hidden in the brush. He, however, wants to go to her.

The dog already has us found. Snarling and barking at our hiding place in the thick shrubbery at the base of the tree, ready to protect its master if he has to. "Who's there?" Sophia's voice is strong, steady. I'd be more proud if she didn't have the barrel of that gun turned on me. "Get out now or I'll shoot ya where you are." She puts the rife to her shoulder and takes better aim.

Fuck.

I'm fucked. I'm fucking dead. My own mates about to shoot me and I can't even move. When I thought she would keep me on my toes this is not what I had in mind. All I can think to do is let the wolf whimper out, maybe she will take pity and let me turn tail. He continues to whine louder as he crawls out slowly paw by paw and I think our heart is about to beat right out of our ribcage.

She lowers her rifle and looks confused. Realizing it's an animal and not a human, her eyes grow bigger and she sends the dog back into the house. We don't move. Tail tucked under us, lowering his head, pushing ears back in submission to her.

It takes her a moment but she slowly comes forward. Putting out one hand while holding the rifle back with the other, finger still near the trigger. She kneels down a few feet away. "Hey buddy, what are you doing here?" Sophia puts her hand palm up for us to come to her, I couldn't rein in my wolf now even if I tried. He is determined to get to her and won't stop for anything or anyone. Inching closer he licks his nose and whimpers softly. "It's okay." She replies back just as soft, he soaks it up; her comforting tone just springs him forward. He basks in her voice like he has never seen the light of day before, stuck in the dark until she came.

He brings his cheek to her hand and it is like touching heaven. He licks at her fingers and she giggles at the feeling. His tail thumps the ground to sound out his joy.

Pure bliss.

"What on earth are you doing out this way? You aren't one of ours. There aren't any native populations 'round these parts. Too friendly to be that wild." She tells us as she rubs behind our ears, eyes scanning us in a small examination. I can see the confusion mingling with the mild fascination. The wolf's tongue hangs out the side of his mouth completely sedated by her touch. "You aren't a mix breed from what I can tell. Such a beautiful grey coat." Laying the rifle down she scratches his chest and he is about to roll over. Eyes almost going back in his head. Sophia is as mesmerized by us as we are of her. She looks us in the eye and we can't look away until her cell phone rings in her pocket. She huffs out before answering it.

"Yes, Uncle Leo." She answers without looking at the caller's ID. A pause as a man speaks on the other line, barraging her with questions. "I'm fine. It's just an animal, honestly, why are you even up looking out the windows anyway? This is why you ain't got any friends." We look around spotting another home farther down the road. The male voice turns to anger and my wolf gives a small growl. She shushes him mouthing 'you'll get me in trouble' before responding back to her uncle. "Look, I'm going back inside, go to bed already it is getting late."

He isn't finished speaking when she hangs up the phone. Petting us a few more times she sighs "I have to go. Be good and stay out of the farmer's lands." Before letting her hand slide away and walking back toward her front door. We whine out at the loss of contact. She looks back saying sorry with a wistful smile before closing her front door and turning off the light. We hear her proceeding up the stairs before entering her room once more and she glances down at us waving goodbye with as she closes the window shut, locking it.

Heading back from where we came out of the forest, the wolf turns around to get one last glimpse of her. Sophia is perched by the window with her chin resting on her knee, watching us. We make a beeline towards the forest with a loud howl out to her. It's straight home from here, memorizing the route back so I know how to get there. Sophia lives about a half hour outside the pack lands. She has been this close and I never knew, how long has she lived there? Was it because I stuck around my own kind?

I get in a quick rinse to get rid of the grime that built up from running through the mud and forest. I have a few scratches on my face and torso from the fall that are beginning to heal and I swear to myself never to tell anyone about this, not even Scott. Embarrassed by almost getting caught, naked, peeping at her while she got ready for bed. I feel a blush creeping up my neck to warm my face. Had I not fallen how much would I have seen? Would I have looked away to give her privacy?

Straight to bed not bothering to put on clothing. Sleep comes quickly with the feel of her hands still lingering.