Chapter Twelve

"Tell us, Jeongguk, is your brother really alive?" asked the hopeful King as he twitched, tapping his fingers on the chair's arm. His bit his lip, looking straight into Jeongguk's eyes, acting as if the truth could be perceived by doing so. King Ji-Hoo had so much questions- why was Junghyun with the humans? Why was he not dead as everyone believed he was? Do the humans know that he is a werewolf? If so, why had they not killed him?

The King knew himself that he was not the best father. He was proud of Junghyun's achievements, yes, but that was after he was gone. He took in all the hard work of his lost son long after Junghyun was not in his side anymore. He promised he would try not to do the same mistake again, but slowly, he was doing the same to Jeongguk.

He frowned, looking down as he rubbed his rough hands in his loose pants. He skimmed through his chambers, looking through its gold walls, multiple paintings complementing the highly decorated room. As he paced his eyes around, his heart started to beat faster. What if, because of his unbearable mistakes, Jeongguk would leave him too?

"Darling?" Queen Jae-Hwa called out, placing her hand on her husband's shoulder. The texture of King Ji-Hoo's suit was rough against her hand, but she could not care less. All that was important to her, was her husband. "Are you alright?"

The Queen knew to herself that King Ji-Hoo was not fine, as he was probably thinking of their sons, especially Junghyun. She sighed, sitting beside her worried husband as she placed her arm around him.

The day their son left them, she felt everything hurt. From her head to her heart, everything at that time just seemed so hopeless, sadness and guilt consuming both her and King Ji-hoo. But nevertheless, after they find Junghyun, she will make everything right and perfect as it should have been.

"Yes," murmured King Ji-Hoo. "I think I am, at least."

"Jeongguk, please answer your father's question," Queen Jae-Hwa begged, her hand reaching for her son.

"He is," whispered Jeongguk as he clutched his shirt, making it wrinkle under his grip. "I saw him, I saw hyung! His scent was so familiar, too familiar that I recognized it the second it came to me.."

"But," faltered Jeongguk's father. "How is that possible? The moment he left us, I knew for sure he would not survive out there, given his inexperienced state."

"Your son was a skilled warrior, Father," badgered Jeongguk as he scoffed and glared at King Ji-Hoo. "See? You don't even notice those things about your own son!"

"Quiet, Jeongguk! You should never talk to your father like that!" chastised Queen Jae-Hwa.

Jeongguk's hatred of his father was so obvious, making King Ji-Hoo uncomfortable and overwhelmed. Jeongguk was not usually like this, but with the news of his lost brother being alive, it triggered the antipathy they both did not know was there.

"I'm sorry, Jeongguk. I'm sorry I failed to accomplish my duties as a father. But I promise, my son, I promise I will fulfill my missed responsibilities," promised King Ji-Hoo as he stood up, looking at Jeongguk. But before he could hug him, a small object fell from a wooden table beside the doors of the chambers. All three of them looked at it and examined its features, almost recognizing it.

Jeongguk stared at it, comparing it to the small, gold ornament he found in his room earlier. 'Perhaps, it really is the same object,' thought the young man as he picked it up. But before he could give it to his parents, it glowed a seemingly bright colour as it produced a light haze, causing the room to be blurred.