Chapter 3: Three Years Later

One morning, a young man with a maroon sweater was sitting on the couch, playing his favorite FIFA soccer game, using a PS3 controller. He concentrated on the player to kick the ball straight to the net but missed his shot. He groaned slightly, then his phone suddenly rang as he paused the game and swiped the answer icon on the screen.

"What's up?" He greeted him monotonously.

"Dude! You're ten minutes late!" His friend raised his voice in irritation.

"Chillax. There's still time, Lance," he snorted out with a chuckle.

"No. Unless you have some girl with you. Who is it?" Lance taunted slyly.

"Nobody and for your information, I'm dating Ava. My parents are already at work, so I'll meet you there soon," he said, yawning as he stretched out of the couch.

"You better be, Bryan. I'll kick your ass if you don't show up," Lance reminded jokingly.

"Pfft. Yeah, right," Bryan said, smirking as soon as the phone call ended.

A few minutes later on the way there, he met up with some of his friends at the skateboarding park area in bright sunny weather. He exchanged fist-bumping with each of them, whereas he got patted on the shoulder by Lance's grip.

"So, are you ready for practice?" He asked grinning excitedly.

"More than ready. Let's do this," Bryan nodded coolly as the two of them grabbed their long-boards and made all the way to the top of the ramp that is four to eight feet.

Then, they've counted up to three seconds once they stepped their foot on their boards before diving down into the bottom and reversing back and forth with all the shifting movements.

Afterward, Bryan decided to rest on the bench while drinking a cold, iced tea from the bottle. He was watching Lance and the other guys skate freestyle until he received a call. Holding up his phone to read his other friend's name, he quickly answered.

"Yeah? Where are you?" He asked calmly and squinted his eyes when he covered them with his left hand away from the sun that was hitting across his face. "Okay."

He agreed and ended the chat as he shoved his phone inside his pocket before zipping it closed. Sighing to himself, he waved goodbye at Lance and the others with his hand up in the air, taking his skateboard with him.

As soon as he arrived behind the baseball bleachers, he glanced around the corner and saw her standing in surprise.

"Valerie..." he called out softly, making her turn around to face him.

"I see you've had fun at the practice," she said, smiling profoundly at him.

"What are you doing here? I mean, our upcoming trip doesn't start until next week. What's the sudden rush?" Bryan asked curiously.

"Listen, I'm working on a private case about the New Year's Eve party incident that happened a few years ago," Valerie said quietly.

"Why? You don't have a certificate or a degree. Surely, you are going overboard with this, aren't you?" Bryan raised an eyebrow in bewilderment.

"Call me insane if you want but this is important for them," Valerie pointed out.

"Is it? Whatever's happened back then, that's done. You cannot change their mistakes," Bryan stared at her dully and continued on. "It's none of your business, so move on from them, will you?"

He turned his back and began to walk away from her with his head shaking in disbelief.

"But this is the only chance to reunite them. They were happy with each other," Valerie protested.