13 | a helping hand

Start from the beginning

"I assure you, I don't need your help neither am I a spy. Your Dad is just being kind to me as a neighbour would do. You have given me the pills, now you can go or if you want to stay then don't talk."

That would work perhaps. Her not speaking in that sexy voice.

William put the pills inside his pocket and then moved on to lift the cover off the bed. He held one end of the sheet and before he could say anything, Eliza was there, lifting the other end. He stared at her for some time and then sighed.

"You're adamant, aren't you?"

"You don't know me," she retorted back, making him chuckle.

He did in some ways

Together they both lifted the cover off the bed and he looked at the simple, plain wooden piece of furniture where he was supposed to sleep. He needed mattresses, he would ask Harvey for some money tomorrow.

He had indeed demoted himself to the position of a beggar.

"You don't have a mattress," Eliza commented, standing beside him. He looked at her and spotted her observing the bed, trying hard to think of some idea.

"I know."

"How will you sleep?"

He raised an eyebrow at her. "You're feeling sorry for your enemy?"

"You're not my enemy. You're just not a very nice person. You stare at girls and then stalk them until you find their home." She then turned to look at him, her face portraying a calculating look.

"Are you here to stalk me? Do you plan on kidnapping me? Because trust me, we aren't that rich! What is your pla-"

William pressed a finger to her soft, red lips, stopping her flow of words and immediately regretted his actions when she gasped and swallowed a deep gulp. The act had heightened his own emotions, and he wanted to curse himself for that stupid mistake.

William watched the movement of her throat, and disturbing thoughts took over his mind when he imagined his tongue being trailed down that neck. He didn't want to remove his finger from her lips. He wanted to touch her in more ways than that. He recalled the times when his thoughts weren't just a figment of torturous emotions.

Eliza lifted her eyes to give him a nervous look and he pulled his hand back.

"Stop doing that," he said, in a low growl, as he started to fold the white sheet.

"Do what?" Eliza asked him softly.

"Accusing me of things. I'm your professor. You shouldn't be here alone with me at night, that too at my house. Please go away. You Dad must be worried."

Eliza sighed and moved a little closer to him. He felt his breath tighten when she placed herself between the edge of the bed and him.

"Who did I remind you of?" she asked and he was surprised by her question.

"What?"

"In class, you said I reminded you of someone. Who is she?"

He didn't want to answer that question. It reminded him of home and he didn't want to think of home for home was far away.

"You...well." He opened his mouth but then stopped when he looked into her eyes.

She expected the truth. He couldn't lie to her, not when she looked at him like that. He never lied to Eliza. His feelings for her were always honest.

William exhaled a deep breath and debated what he was about to say.

"My wife. You remind me of my wife."

Eliza stared at him and he saw her stop breathing for a moment. Her expressions changed from calm and composed to something else, and then, before William could say anything else, he found her escaping from him and storming out of the door.

She slammed it shut behind her and just like that, she was gone.

(and all you have to do is never leave my view)