Chapter 31

After Dillon had finally woken up from his state of brainwashing, we sat down on the kitchen floor catching up a little bit and planning how to get out. Angie was with us, helping me remove all of my scarecrow makeup. Surprisingly enough, we didn't even have to wake Angie up—she was already awake. I still didn't tell them about my collection of stolen items though because I couldn't trust that if they were brainwashed once again, that they wouldn't say anything.

So far we had an entire plan on how to escape; the only problem was finding the only genuine exit.

"Dillon, don't they bring you with them sometimes," Angie spoke softly.

Dillon sat and thought for a moment, "Maybe. But I barely remember anything."

I sat in my own thoughts for a minute before signing slowly, "You have. You leave through the kitchen."

The two looked at me to process what I told them before rushing off of their feet through the kitchen. We searched and searched and searched until Dillon found a door that wasn't exactly a door.

It was a door that basically led to a closet; but the floor of the closet had a trap door. He hurriedly crouched and frantically unlocked the hatch and looked down a flight of stairs, "There's light! Coming from a window."

Angie was jumping with joy and I turned to look at the clock. Eight-Thirty at night. That only meant that they would be back any minute now. And as if on cue, we all saw headlights through the window. Dillon quickly closed the hatch and we backed out of the closet.

"What do we do," Angie asked with fear.

"We pretend we still trust them. We can't give ourselves away," Dillon rushed in. He quickly took his place on the couch and Angie rushed for a bored game, motioning me to pretend I was going to play it with her.

We all sat for a minute before Dillon's parents made their presence known. Angie looked afraid and Dillon looked at her with eyes that said stop being obvious.

I just looked at them with begging eyes. Eyes that said please don't show your fear.

Dillon's father approached me, putting his hands firmly on my shoulders and leaning down near my head, smelling my hair. Angie watched in horror and I felt disgusting. I could see that Dillon wanted to hit him, but I was afraid he'd give us away so I shook my head.

"You're a pretty little thing, now aren't ya," his father said once we were face to face. I kept a straight face, refusing to show them any form of a character break.

He grabbed my hand pulling me up to go follow him. I knew what he was trying to do for he had Angie so brainwashed at times he'd do it to her. I looked at Angie only to see her face pale with disgust. I slowly followed him, but refused to let anything happen.

I looked back at Angie and Dillon with pleading eyes not to do anything stupid because I knew I was putting my own life at risk for my first stupid plan. I followed in pursuit—not that I had a choice for he had a tight grip on my wrist—we passed the small fireplace and I was quick to grab a fire poker and hit him as hard as I could on the back of the head.

The man let go of my wrist and put his hand to the back of his head. I knew he probably wanted to kill me so I ran for my life up the stairs. I could feel his foot steps trailing behind me.

Once I had made it to my said room, I quickly slammed the door shut and rushed the dresser in front of it. I sat on the ground to hold the dresser in place as he desperately tried to pry the door open.

By the time he was gone, it must've been at least an hour before he had given up; and I was exhausted for using all of my body weight to hold the door shut. I sat on the ground for a minute to catch my breath. I sat on the floor for an additional hour, no energy left in me.

The door then swung open, dresser and all and I was up quickly, ready to fight. I turned only to see Angie and Dillon putting their fingers over their lips to tell me to be quiet. They had succeeded in not selling themselves out. Angie looked out the door before shutting it as quietly as she possibly could. They both sat on the ground next to me, eyeballing each other before looking to me.

"We've decided," Angie said to me. "We're getting out of here tonight."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Like/Vote/Comment?♥️