Chapter 20

It has officially been an entire month with no contact with Dillon. In fact, it was already Christmas. There was snow outside, the air was nippy, and I felt like I was experiencing depression for the first time in my life. I was too scared to ask my mom to take me to get an evaluation done because I didn't want her to think I'd turn out like Dad.

I was so annoyed with the world lately. Mom nagging me about what Dillon's been up to, the dog always wanting to be with mom, Emily always hanging out with Aiden whom was always hanging out with Dillon and Dillon's other friends when they got the chance, Rebel so suddenly never having time for me because of his new girlfriend, Aunt Lucinda always busy with work, Sam failing all of her classes so her parents forbid her to hang out with anybody, and obviously Dillon and I are done talking.

The only person I've been spending my time with was Ines Carter, the eighty seven year old deaf lady who I was pretty sure was going to pass away soon.

I've been visiting her quite frequently and one day I went to check on her and she was passed out on her kitchen floor. I've been visiting her at the hospital for the last few days and she swears she's doing better, but I can't help but feel like she's lying to me.

"How are you today, Ines," I signed to the sweet old lady walking through the door.

She lit up with excitement and I saw that twinkle in her eyes she always seemed to have.

Ines was a black woman from Tennessee, and as old as she was, she never failed to put her hair up in luscious curls. She had the sweetest dark chocolate eyes, an adorable semi-toothless grin, dimples that greeted the world, and a smile that could outshine the brightest stars.

Her heart is was took the cake though. She's been through a lot in her life. Experienced racism in her past and still sometimes experienced it today.

One day she invited me in for homemade tea, chicken, potatoes and cornbread. It was the best meal I've had in a while and it really warmed me up, but I'm pretty sure she knew I was having a rough day that day because she told me–well... signed to me–that, "You can always tell when someone's soul has turned cold just by the way they look at you. And something tells me that someone hurt yours." I was so stunned by her sudden words that I broke down immediately. She's the sweetest, realest person I've met in a long time. I just wished that I had met her earlier in my life.

"I'm well," Ines replied as I sat down next to her. I could see the life in her eyes gone, but I was going to stay strong for her.

Her son and daughter in law were seated across from me, and I could almost feel the pain radiating off of them.

"Hello John. Hello Erica," I signed to them.

"Hello darling," Erica signed back.

I knew it was Christmas, and I obviously wanted to spend it with my family, but when John texted me and told me she had hours, maybe minutes, I didn't hesitate to leave my family dinner. I didn't even carry the tradition of going to the Anderson's house this year.

All of us sat around the bed, having a sweet conversation with Ines. I knew that she knew she was dying, but I also knew she was happy that she'd be going soon.

She kept excitedly telling us about the time John's father, Richard proposed to her, how he chose John's name, how he was always so smooth with his words, how her favorite thing to do with him was slow dance in his arms while he whispered all of the things he loved about her, and how he promised to save a spot in heaven for her when he passed away.

I would have loved to meet Richard because I could tell by the look in Ines's eyes that she truly loved him. I've only knew her for a month, but I was so scared to lose her. John and Erica listened, while I watched the heart monitor slow down.