Dog Park

Jennie POV

"I think I might be in love," I say out loud to no one in particular. Every Saturday morning, I take Kuma and Kai to this dog park down the street from my apartment and for the past month like clock work, this tall girl with bangs strolls by and sits on a bench across from me. In the beginning, we never really make eye contact. Most of the time I'd pretend to be on my phone and when I caught myself staring, she'd be busy gawking at all the dogs running around, while trying to tame her own tiny white dog she calls Dalgom.

For the past few weekends, she'd send a small smile my way and I'd return it with an awkward wave. She's really pretty. I can tell she isn't 100% Korean or maybe not Korean at all, but maybe that's what is so captivating about her. She has long ash brown hair, these beautiful doe eyes, and a smile to die for. Sometimes her little dog runs around all over dragging her along and her laugh is the cutest thing I've heard.

Like I said, I think I'm in love. But working up the courage to go talk to her is difficult. How do I even start? Maybe I should let Kuma off his leash and have him chase after her and lead her back to me. Or just simply go up to her and introduce myself? The first idea sounds good because then she'd be the first one to make a move and I could just blame Kuma if it gets awkward.

My inner battle is interrupted when I see Mino, a guy I knew from high school, walk over to her and strike up a conversation. He doesn't even have a dog. I see him do this often to other girls at this park and it makes my blood boil knowing he's making a move on this girl.  I mean, I don't even know if she's into girls so my heart clenches a little when she seemingly flirts back with Mino. It looks like they exchange numbers and I assume I have no chance.

The beautiful girl seems to bid goodbye to Mino and catches me staring at them. She waves goodbye to me like she usually does and flashes a huge smile my way. And my heart flutters again.

"Hey Jen," Mino breaks me out of my reverie. When I raise an eyebrow, he continues. "She's really hot isn't she? Do you see her here often? I asked for her number, but she didn't budge. So I ended up giving her mine. I hope she texts cuz I'd love to have a chance at..."

"Mino, save it and move on to your next conquest," I respond,  pointing him to the direction of another girl across the way. He eagerly runs over.

A week later.

"Today, I'm going up to that girl. I'm Jennie Kim and I never back down. I'm charming, hot, smart, and irresistible," I keep repeating to myself.

30 minutes have passed from the usual time I see her and she is nowhere to be found. Mino isn't around either. Does that mean she texted him?

Kai and Kuma get restless and bark at me until I finally get up to leave. I hope she's okay.

Another week later.

This is the 2nd week in a row she isn't here at her usual time. I regret not making my move. It's like one of those missed connections.

I see Mino and I call him over. "Hey, did that girl ever text you back?"

"What? No hello? And which girl are you talking about?" Mino responds.

"The girl you gave YOUR number to two weeks ago. The gorgeous one with the bangs, doe eyes, and legs that go on forever?"

"You sound so whipped." Mino laughs. "But nope, I haven't heard from her. I think her name was Lisa, in case you're wondering."

"Lisa..." I start to daydream about seeing her again when a familiar bark catches my attention. I look over and see Dalgom, but Lisa is nowhere to be seen. Instead of the tall girl, a girl about the same height as me is with the familiar dog.

"Ohhh look, fresh meat," Mino says looking in the same direction as me.

"You're a pig. Don't even think about it." I say before running towards the new girl.

"Hi!" I say, startling the girl holding on to Dalgom.

"Hello," she puts the dog down to play with my tiny dogs.

"I'm Jennie. Is that dog named Dalgom?" I ask wondering if this dog is the same one that Lisa brought over weeks ago.

"Um yeah, how did you know that?" The girl says, and my mind automatically thinks of the worst. This girl is the girlfriend of the girl I fell for. "I'm Jisoo, by the way," she extends her hand when I don't answer her question.

"Jisoo unnie, sorry I'm late. Rosé came by."
I look to my right to see the girl of my dreams approaching. She gives Jisoo a hug and awkwardly pets Dalgom.

"Hi pretty girl, I'm Lisa." She flashes her signature smile to me again and my heart melts. How does this girl do this to me?

"I'm Jennie. This is Kai and Kuma. You're even more gorgeous when you're this close." I mentally face palm at my words. "I mean, it's nice to finally meet you."

She smirks and I die a little inside. Jisoo coughs to break the tension.

"So what did Jisoo do to get you to actually come and over and talk?" Lisa asked.

"I didn't do anything! She just came over here all weird asking if Dalgom was Dalgom." Jisoo defended herself. "Wait, is this that girl you were trying to impress?"

"Unnie!" Lisa tried to stop Jisoo from continuing on.

"What?! Lisa, I asked you to doggysit Dalgom for one weekend, then you asked to doggysit him every weekend for three more weeks. You literally used my dog, no wonder he hates you." I started to laugh at Jisoo's story.

"Ah so that's why it seemed like Dalgom never listened to you. It wasn't very impressive." I smirked at Lisa and she blushed. My confidence is definitely back.

"Hey! I'm pretty sure you were jealous of that one guy the last time we saw each other." Lisa countered

"I won't confirm or deny. But you're a gorgeous girl so if I were jealous, I'm sure you understand why."

"Okay enough you two, just go on a a date already. I can watch the dogs if you want." Jisoo broke up our conversation, sick of the flirting going on in front of her.

—-
Author's note: IDK what this was, but I'm trying. Vote or leave comments. If you have a prompt you want me to tackle, let me know!