Chapter Twenty Four

So they spent the remainder of the night, tossing back drinks while Niall recounted his day.  The pub eventually closed so they had to leave but Edie knew she was a little too drunk to drive home just yet, so she and Niall just sat in the back of her car, the hatchback was up and they sat there and sobered up.

"This was fun," she said, as she laid back, her hands propped under her head.

"Yes, it was," Niall said, as he laid back next to her.  "Thank you...for helping me out." He said, turning to face her.

She faced him, "You're welcome."  She drunkenly smiled at him.

"I can't even describe what a relief it is to know he's lock--" Niall stopped short, "Shit, Edie, I'm sorry.  Here I am so excited and that bastard who hurt you is still out there."

"Don't be.  You have every right to be happy right now, Niall."

Niall propped himself up on his elbows and looked back at her, all serious, "Still, I wish I could help.  I hate that he's still out there, probably hurting someone else.  It makes me so fucking furious!"

"Well, I appreciate your fury."

"I wish I could help you," Niall said this a little softer as he rose to a full sitting position.

Edie remained quiet as Niall jumped off the car and turned to her with his hand out. Edie just looked at him, confused.   "Could I place my name on that dance card of yours?" He asked, goofy smile on display.

Edie smiled and sat up, taking his hand, "It's all yours, kind sir."

He helped her hop off the car and twirled her around before bringing her a little closer to him.  Still a bit tipsy, she stumbled a little but true to form, he caught her.  She drunkenly laughed before she noticed how serious he appeared to be.  She quickly calmed herself down as he began to hum some tune she had never heard before.  He brought her a little closer as he placed one of her hands on his shoulder, wrapped an arm around her waist, and placed his other hand into hers.

She looked up at him, the scruff of his beard grazing her cheek. They swayed there in the empty parking lot.  He had his eyes closed as he hummed.  As she looked at him, her eyes traced over his jawline.  She had a sudden urge to kiss him and thank him for his words two weeks ago.  She was slightly taken aback by her own thoughts, quickly telling herself that his words were only him being a good friend and that there was no way he would want her to kiss him.  He had only been nice to say what he said.

The one thing she did want to say, she hadn't had the nerve but she wanted to know if she could be this happy again, knowing she was safe from harm.  She had been debating for weeks to tell him about her own measly investigation.  She really wanted to confide in someone about this.  She wanted another pair of eyes to help her. 

"Niall," she whispered.

"Hmm?"

"Can I trust you?"

He opened his eyes and looked at her, "Always."

"Could, uh, I meet you at your house?  I have something I want to share with you but need to go home to get it?"

"Uh, yeah, sure?  Or I could just come to your house?"

"I'd rather come to your house, if you don't mind?"

"Of course not."

"Great, see you in a bit." She let go of his hand and stepped back. 

He slowly made his way to his vehicle before turning back to her.  "Be safe," he said.

"I will," she smiled back at him.

The entire drive back to her house, Edie's mind was reeling.  She kept going back and forth on whether or not she really could trust him, but she kept going back to yes, because he had trusted her.

She ran upstairs, into her flat, locked her doors, looked around and ran into her bedroom.  She laid down on the floor and lifted the bed skirt up, reaching under and pulling out the box she kept all of her files in.  She gave Lilac a quick pet and ran back outside, locking her door.

When she got to Niall's house, she grabbed her box and was about to knock when it opened.