Chapter Nineteen

Edie sat there, watching and listening as Niall talked.  She couldn't believe he had had to go through all that.  She couldn't believe she was having to go through what she was going through.  But she did feel that she now had someone who understood, at least partially.

"Okay, you're turn.  I shared a little, you share a little?" Niall asked her, apprehension in his voice.  She knew he wanted to know but wasn't sure if asking was appropriate.

"Umm, okay, what do you want to know?"

"I don't know.  I can only imagine what you're going through.  My experience seems to pale in comparison to yours."

"Not really.  We were both violated - physically, emotionally, and mentally.  We both are having to face down demons we never thought we'd have to face.  We just have slightly different demons, is all."

"I guess, but I still think yours is worse.  Forgive me for saying that but I don't blame your brother one bit for wanting to rip me to shreds last week.  I was getting pissed just listening to you this evening.  And there's no leads on who did this to you?"

"No," she said, shaking her head.  "All evidence was washed away.  And I don't remember what he looked like.  I suppose if I ever heard his voice again I would know, but remembering a voice isn't exactly scientific proof."

Edie paused for a moment while she considered sharing something else.

"Doctors think though that some surgery will remove your scars?" Niall asked her before she could tell him her secret.

"Sort of.  Basically, I'd be getting a face lift.  The majority are along the edges of my face so these here on my forehead down my cheeks would go into my hairline and most of these on my chin would go to just below onto my neck, but would still be visible, just not as obvious, I guess."

"And the eye?"

"Not as bad as it looks, really.  My eyelid will bear the scar the most, the rest they think could be reduced enough to make it blend in more with my skin to where a little makeup would simply cover it up. Scar reduction surgeries."

Niall just nodded as she spoke.  "Well, I guess that's good.  Are you going to do them?"

"Yes.  I've had a couple of pre-surgical meetings with some doctors to discuss exactly what needs to be done and how.  My first surgery is actually scheduled for two weeks from now."

"Yeah?" Niall stood up to sit back down next to her on the couch.

"Yep."

"Well, good luck on those."

"Thanks."

They sat there for a while as the fire began to die down.  Edie looked over at him out of the corner of her eye.  She just wasn't sure she could tell him what she had been doing during the nights.  Yet, she felt he would understand.  She decided instead that it was time to go.  Enough sharing had been done tonight.

"I, uh, think it's time for me to head out.  Thank you for letting me hang out for a bit.  It was nice to play the game and talk and relax a little, for as much as we can relax these days."  Edie said as she stood up.

"Oh, okay, yeah," Niall said, standing up and walking her to the door. 

"I guess, I'll, uh, see you next week," Edie said as she gathered her belongings.

"Yep.  Next week," Niall smiled a little at her as he opened the door for her.  "See ya then."

Once Edie got into her car, she let out a deep breath and drove home.  Once she got there, the sun was beginning to peak over the horizon.  She dropped her bag to the floor and as she did so she felt like her skin had dropped to the floor with it. She stood in her flat, looking around, unable to move. 

She had made some progress tonight but as she stood in the doorway of her home, she realized that she had made very little.  She was still frozen.  She still needed the nails in her windows.  She still needed the three deadbolts in her doors.   She still needed it all.