Chapter Seventeen

"Okay, well, we've heard Niall speak.  I think we could all use a break, so let's go on and take our break and when we get back, Edie, you're up," Charlie stated, matter-of-factly.  She wasn't going to take any arguing tonight.

Niall and Edie stayed in their seats.  They remained silent for several minutes before he spoke, "Are you okay?" Niall asked.

Edie looked over at him, "Yes...and no.  I guess, if you ask anyone I know, then the answer is a wholehearted, resounding, 'no' but it isn't because of you." She paused a moment, "Niall, I am so, so sorry about the way I reacted last week.  And what really makes it awful is that I know why you're here."  Niall looked up at her, confused.  She continued, "I, uh, saw your name trending several weeks ago and out of curiosity I clicked on it and, lo-and-behold, you are the one and only Niall Horan of One Direction fame."

"Yep.  That's me."

Edie scooted closer to him and rested her hand on his.  He looked back up at her as she said, "We've got some peculiar similarities to the events of that night."

He looked at her questioningly but the fifteen minutes were up and everyone else had begun piling back in.  It was now her turn.

"Alright, Edie, whenever you're ready," Charlie said, sitting down.

Niall watched as she took a deep breath.  His curiosity had been piqued by her statement.  He looked down at her hand, still resting on top of his.  He flipped his hand over and held on to hers.  She looked over at him as he gave her a little squeeze of reassurance.  She smiled at him before beginning,

"Back in January, I was on this god awful date with some guy that a friend of mine had set me up with.  It was terrible, so I basically skipped out on him.  I know that sounds bad, because I usually try to give people a good and fair chance, but trust me, this guy was awful." She tried to crack a little smile to ease the tension that had once again settled into the room.  "Anyway, I left and as I was walking back to my car, which was several blocks from the restaurant, it began to storm.  One of the worst in London's history, apparently."

Niall shifted in his seat as she said this, realizing that whatever happened to her had happened the same night as his.  She continued,

"It had gotten quite dark by the time I had reached my car and as I was about to get in, someone...someone came up behind me and pulled me into the alley," She paused for another deep breath and Niall saw her glance over at him.  She squeezed his hand even harder as she went, "Um, he, uh.."

"Take your time, Edie," Charlie said slowly.

She nodded, "He, uh, slammed my face into the wall and then slammed the back of my head down on the ground where he then..."

Tears were streaming down her face at this point and all Niall wanted to do was hold her.  He also felt this sudden surge of rage swell into him because he knew what she was about to say.

"He raped me." She took several more deep breaths as she wiped away her tears but never letting go of him. "The doctors said it was particularly brutal.  I needed stitches in several places besides my face.  When he finished, he pulled a knife out and he did this to me," she said, pointing to her face.  "My doctors believe that most of these scars can be slightly altered or moved with some reconstructive surgeries, so hopefully, I won't always look like this but not all wounds can be hidden.  I keep myself locked up in my house and my brother is about the only one who ever sees me.  He's about the only one who can handle me, which is why I'm here.  I have blocked everyone out of my life.  I have difficulties doing the most basic day-to-day things now.  I'm scared to be outside on my own because I'm afraid he'll find me because he hasn't been found yet.  And most likely, never will be.  I, uh, don't remember what he looked like.  I remember the way he smelled, the way he sounded when he spoke to me, the way he felt, but I couldn't even tell you guys what color his eyes are."

More tears got wiped away.  The rage inside of Niall only got worse as she told her story.  Some asshole is running around out there free as a bird while this girl sits here, shattered.

"It's why I reacted the way I did," she said, turning to face him, "When you grabbed me and pulled me into that alley last week, I had flashbacks.  All I saw in front of me was him.  Not you.  But I heard what you heard.  I know you didn't imagine those noises.  And I'm so sorry I couldn't find my voice in time to tell the police you were only trying to protect me.  I went down to the police station to drop the charges and get you out, but you had already been released.  I'm so sorry you had to go this week having people say the meanest things to you for something you didn't do."

She let go of his hand and wiped away more tears.  Niall just sat there, silent.  He couldn't even begin to fathom what she was going through.

"Okay, everyone, I think we've had a hard but productive meeting this evening.  I say we call it a night on this one.  Niall, Edie please stay for just a moment," Charlie said as everyone else came up to give the two of them a hug, or pat on the shoulder, or anything reassuring that let them know they weren't alone.

Once everyone was gone, Charlie sat back down with them, "Okay, first, thank you both for finally sharing with us.  I wish it had been under better circumstances but I think what happened last week forced you both to take a step towards actually healing.  Your reactions are clear signs of PTSD.  I think though, that perhaps you need new partners..."

"No!" Edie practically shouted.  "I mean, please, I want Niall to be my trust partner." She glanced over at him.  "I know we shouldn't have done what we did last week but I knew I could trust him.  I knew, even when I couldn't get the words out, that he wasn't trying to hurt me.  And I know, I feel it, that he wouldn't have done that the way he did had he known."

"I'm just not sure I was right," Charlie began.

"But you were," Niall spoke up, "She's my partner in this now.  I won't do this if we aren't partners anymore."

Charlie looked at them both, "Okay.  But I want to see real effort put forth in here from now on, not just today."

Charlie got up and allowed them to leave.  When they got downstairs Niall looked around for his friends, "They're not here," Edie said from behind him.

"Huh?"

"Your friends.  I sent them home.  I thought I could drive you home so we could talk," Edie said, a little shyly.

"Okay?" They both got into her car and she started to drive.  "Don't you need an address?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess I do."

He gave her his address and they settled into a quiet drive back to his house.  Once there, they both awkwardly sat in the car and then Niall did something he hadn't done in months, "Wanna come in?" he asked, both hoping for a yes and a no.

"Uhh, sure." She said slowly.

They both got out of the car and went inside.  He dropped the keys, locked the door, which he noticed her flinch a little when he did, "Want it unlocked?"

She shook her head no.  He kicked his shoes off and proceeded to make the rounds of his house while she just stood at the entrance.