Chapter 85: Just For A Day

Começar do início

"What about when it's over?" I ask pointing out the obvious fact that the feelings won't die.

"We'll worry about that later. Right now how about we do something more fun?" Jack proposes with a big grin. I laugh a little at how funny his smile is before he takes my hand and pulls me away.

//

"I could pay you back later." I offer again. Jack having to pay for my admittance is just a tad embarrassing. Jack just shakes his head and buys me a cotton candy, adding to my guilty feeling.

"You eat it." I hand it back to him.

"I bought it for you. That's what friends..."He leans in for it, "do for friends."

"I'll still pay you back for admittance though." I repeat again. As soon as I can scrounge up fifty bucks. Fuck, why does the Boardwalk have to be so expensive? I'll never be able to pay him back.

"I'm sure we can figure out some other way for you to pay me back." Jack says and for a second I wonder if that's some sort of sexual innuendo. I study Jack's face to look for a sign. He just smiles and laughs. Well that's unhelpful.

"So what do you want to go on first?" I look around at all the impossibly high rides. MY stomach does a little flip as I look at The Drop. Takes you up, and over and down at a 90 degree angle.

"Fuck that's high." I shiver out staring up at it.

"What's the matter you scared of heights?" Jack jabs at my side. I brush him off and continue to stare up at that monster. Who in their right mind would go on that? "Come on, I'll race you." He says before he heads right for the drop. I can't help but stare at him as he jumps excitedly. He looks so happy, like a little kid. Something inside me gushes and, very slowly, I make my way to that abomination known as The Drop.

"I don't think this was a good idea." It might be a little late for these thoughts when I'm over 500 feet in the air. Why the fuck did I do this? Why did Jack have to be so distracting?

"Here," Jack took my hand, setting off tingles that shot up my arm. Now I remember, but I still regret it. "It'll be fun." Jack yelled as we reached the peak. Now I could see the tiny, tiny, microscopic people a million miles away on planet earth.

"Aw fuck. Shit, shit, shit." I still curse as I feel us start to lurch forward. "If I die, I swear to god I'll come back to kill you." I threaten one more time before we take off.

//

"What the fuck was that?" Jack asks as I run back from the bathroom. I couldn't puke in front of Jack, that wouldn't be a good move, even if we are just friends right now. In hindsight eating all that cotton candy before coming here may not have been the best idea.

"Had to piss." I lie and wipe my mouth one last time, to make sure there's nothing left.

"Alright well I'm starving want some food? I saw a cheeseburger place over that way." Jack offers but my stomach does a little churn at the mention of food. I have to resist the urge to blow chunks all over again. "Are you okay? You look a little...green."

"Yeah, Come on let's go get...cheeseburgers." I instantly regret saying.

"The best time was definitely when in your room." Jack argues.

"What?" I ask between sips of water. The only thing that doesn't make me want to hurl. "What about the time in the back of my car?"

"It was way more fun back in 8th grade when we were scared your mom was gonna come in." Jack says with a suggestive eyebrow. I laugh remembering how terrified I was the entire time. Good times. Jack however convinced me it would be more fun with the edge of nerves. Suffice is to say it wasn't.