Chapter One: The Boy with the Silver Eyes

Warning: this story contains lots of fluff and gay panic. If you have a problem with that, bye.
Also, this is set in modern times, but with the old professors from the third HP book, just so you know.

"This is embarrassing" Mumbo said, tugging on the collar of his buttoned shirt. "I've told you mum, no one dresses up just to get on the train"

His mother narrowed her eyes at him.

"That doesn't mean that you can't" she replied in a warning tone.

"I'm not even a Ravenclaw! Why is it blue?"

He didn't miss that flash in her eyes that clearly said, if only you were.

"Blue goes well with your hair, and I don't like the shade of yellow they use on your uniform"

"Dad!"

"Do not raise your voice Mumbo" his father said, not even bothering to look up from his computer.

Mumbo clamped his mouth shut and looked down at his hands. It wasn't worth the argument.

I can change once I get on the train.

The sleek black limousine cruised through downtown London towards Kings Cross, his mother talking his ear off the whole way. He payed her no mind, just nodding and humming his approval whenever he could see her questioning his attention.

He kneaded the bottom of his tie through his fingers as his anticipation grew.

When the car stopped, Mumbo was out and pulling his trunk from the back before the driver had even cracked his door ajar.

"Mumbo!"

He turned to see his mother's withering glare.

"I-"

"Don't interrupt!" She snapped. "You wait for..."

He sighed.

"Henry to open the door"

"And then?"

"I wait for him to unload the trunk"

"And you don't..."

"Get over excited"

She gave him a curt nod and moved aside for her husband to get out. He held up a finger for Mumbo to wait while he typed out a message on his phone. By the time he was done the driver had already loaded all of Mumbo's things onto a cart and held out the owl cage for Mumbo to take.

"Thanks Henry" Mumbo smiled as he poked his finger between the bars of the bird cage. His tawny owl Felicity cooed and affectionately nipped his hand.

"Hello Lissy" Mumbo whispered. "Are you ready to go back?"

He heard an annoyed cough behind him and turned to see his father's raised eyebrows.

Mumbo returned the cage to the cart with downcast eyes.

"Now" his father started, and Mumbo groaned inwardly. He had given the same speech for the last two years and there was no doubt it would be the same this time. "I expect no letters telling me you have broken any rules or are behaving improperly. Be sure to focus on your schoolwork and don't get distracted. We expect an update once a week. Understood?"

Mumbo nodded.

"What have you done? Your tie is all crinkled" his mother said bending down slightly to try and straighten out his clothes. "And these feathers! Don't hold that bird so closely. It's for mail purposes only"