Protective (S.R.)

I walked into Stark Tower, another day at the wonderful Avenger's Compound. I rose the elevator up to floor 91, or the commons. I came out with my head down and hair hanging over my face, on purpose of course. Makeup could only cover so much of a bruise.

"Hey Y/N!" I heard Nat call from the kitchen island. I kept my head down but waved.

"Hey, Nat."

"You alright?" She asked.

"Yeah, of course." Lie. Of course, I wasn't fine. Her asking wanted to make me break down. I quickly headed to the training room before she could figure anything out.

I walked in and placed my bag down. There, lo and behold, was America's favorite boy: Steve Rogers. I didn't dare look up. I had liked him for so long. Everything about him was so pure, from the way he looked to the way he acted and talked (excluding the serum of course). "Hey Y/N." I could hear Steve lightly say.

"Hey, Steve," I responded.

"Are you okay?" He asked. 

"Yeah, yeah fine," I said. I could hear him walking closer to me so I quickly dodged him walking over to a punching bag. I looked down again and began wrapping up my fists. Steve followed me. I'm not supposed to be near him, I thought, What if John finds out?

"Hey Y/N?" Steve asked from behind me. I didn't respond. "Could you lookup for a sec?"

"Why?" I got slightly defensive. He walked in front of me.

"Because," He began, "I like your face."

"That's not a great excuse-" He put his fingers on my chin so my head moved up but I flinched away. Apparently, it was long enough to see my eye. His mouth dropped.

"Y/N-" he slightly gasped, his mouth agape, "What happened."

"Oh um," Think of an excuse, "I slipped."

"I don't think you could get a black eye from slipping." He crossed his arms, "I'm going to ask this again: What happened?" I didn't respond.

"It was just um," I began, "John got upset with me again." He paused. And stared for a few moments. His fists began to clench and his jaw tightened. "It's no big deal, okay?"

"Again?" he asked. I nodded, "How often?"

"Whenever I do something wrong." I hesitated. He looked at me again.

"How often is that." I swallowed the awkward lump in my throat.

"Everyday," I mumbled. Steve huffed before storming out of the room. "Steve wait-" I ran after him, my short figure no match for his. "Don't tell anyone." I began, "Please?" He turned towards me.

"Tell no one?" He asked, "How the hell am I supposed to do that Y/N?" He asked and approached me, "That bastards hitting you because he's 'upset with you'? No woman let alone you deserve that." I could feel the tears begin to brew, as my lip began quivering. He sighed, "Fine." he said, "But you need to stay here."

"I don't know if I could do that Steve-"

"Why not?" He asked. I hesitated.

"Well, John would think that I'm here for other reasons."

"Like what?"

"He thinks I'm cheating on him. With you." Steve's eyes went wide. He stood for a moment in disbelief.

"I have somewhere to go." He marched his way down the hall. There was no point in trying to catch up to him.

.

I was sitting in the commons at dark when I heard the elevator open. That's strange, I thought, everyone's here. That's when my worst nightmare faced me. John. "What the hell do you think you're doing here?" He asked. I got up from my spot on the couch and slowly backed away.

"Josh I can explain-" He smirked.

"I don't know if there's a good explanation you little bitch." The tears were streaming with my lips quivering and my hands shaking.

"Hey!" I heard someone yell from behind. I turned my head as he did only to see Steve in the back, "You back off of her right now." he said firmly and began approaching us. John smirked again.

"I knew you were cheating on me. What a whore." He looked at me. Steve paused.

"What did you just call her." He asked as his breathing increased.

"You heard me Mr. Star Spangled Man." Steve walked up to him and swung his right fist into John's cheek, resulting in him falling on the floor, passing out upon impact. My mouth was agape as I watch it all happen. Steve immediatly turned to me.

"Are you alright doll?" he asked and gave me a hug. I nodded and began crying into his shoulder.

"What's happening?" Nat came running around the corner as the rest of the team followed her. She looked on the floor and saw John. "Did you kill him?"

"No," Steve responded, "Just knocked him out." They all gave confused looks before turning to me and sighing, understanding it all.

"So who wants to actually kill him?" Tony asked and looked at him, "Because if no one volunteers I will. I'll just need some help moving the body-"

"Tony," Steve interrupted, "Or we could just leave him and worry about Y/N."

"Oh yeah," He began, "That too. I knew he never deserved you, by the way." I lightly smiled.

"Thanks, Tony." Just as we wrapped up the conversation we heard a grunt from John.

"My turn." Tony smiled, walking towards him.

"Tony," I stopped him, "Just kick him out if you would." He nodded and smiled.

"Y/N?" John asked, still drowsy.

"Yes?" I responded.

"What happened."

"Oh well Steve knocked your ass out, and at this moment I'm breaking up with you." His eyes went wide. I nodded and smiled as Steve and I walked away. Once around a few corners out conversation started up again.

"So that's where the sassy Y/N has been the last few months," he began, "trapped due to him." I nodded. "Hopefully I can get her back. I like her a lot more than docile Y/N." I smiled and chuckled.

"We'll see Rogers."

"This may be too soon but," He mentioned and rubbed the back of his neck as a nervous tick, "Could I get old Y/N back if I took her out to dinner?" I stopped in my tracks and he followed. Did he just ask me out on a date?

"Sure," I said and we both smiled, "This Saturday at 7." He smiled and nodded as we departed ways.

(A/N: Pt. 2?)