The Awkward Ask Out (S.R.)

You had always been insecure. Very insecure. And honestly, constantly being around Earths Mightiest Heroes only made the problem worst.

You were a very secluded person as well. You always kept your personal life to yourself. No that there was much to it.

You settled on a place in Soho, your favorite area of Manhattan. With your Labrador, Sandy, of course. It was just you and her, a dynamic duo of simplicity.

Little did you know someone had their eye out for you. Steve Rogers had fallen head over heels for you starting on day one, when you were more than happy to help him find his way around SHIELD.

You seemed so happy, always. But lurking inside was a deep pit of loneliness and empty feelings. You had struggled with depression since your years as a teenager. It had gone on long before it was treated, making it harder now.

You had tried anti depressants many times, some worked, some didn't. But the ones that did work didn't last long. Soon you would be back to square one.

That's one of the reasons you never really dated. The emotional and mental baggage was too much for the average person to handle, as all your ex's had told you.

So you were fine with you and a cute yellow lab by your side. And, of course, your job at SHIELD.

You were the director of archives. You'd loved history since a child, meaning your job was to uncover any information you could get on retired agents, and keep records clean and organized.

That's part of the reason you could easily identify Steve from day one. You'd never looked into his file too deeply, enough to get the gist of things.

You'd always been slightly attracted to him as well. I mean, he's Captain America. Who wouldn't be? But you, even through the beautiful Y/H/C hair, and piercing Y/E/C eyes, couldn't look in the mirror and see how gorgeous you really were. All you saw was a piece of scars and imperfections.

"How are things going on the archives?" You heard Nat, a close friend come up behind you. You lightly chuckled.

"Oh, the same old same old. Does anything every change?" You asked and smiled, slipping another file back into the containers they were sorted into.

"Good point." She mentioned. "Want to head out for lunch in a few."

"Sure," You responded slipping the last file into its cramped space along other folders, "Let me grab my bag."

As you and Nat walked down one of the many corridors of SHIELD, you saw the tall, blond Captain America walk your way. In a plain blue t-shirt and jeans, not that that was uncommon. You just always noticed.

Meanwhile he looked up and saw the short girl he had a crush on. His heart began to pound as he looked at your incredible complexion, and beautiful shape.

"Hey Steve!" Nat called out and waved.

"Hi Nat." He responded and gave a light smile. "Hey Y/N." He said turning to you, his face turning a light shade of pink as your name slipped off his tounge.

"Hi Steve." You said and mimicked his light smiled.

"H-how are you today?" He stuttered, cursing himself under his breath at his mistake.

"Alright, how are you?" You responded, trying to keep your cool as well.

"Well." He said, "Nat, can you quickly run these to Fury."

"Yeah sure," she responded, "Be right back." She looked at you then Steve and winked at him.

"So-" Steve began.

"So-" You added on and both began to chuckled.

"I've um-" He began, "I've been wanting to ask you for a while but, uh, would you like to maybe go out some time?" He asked. Your and his hands awkwardly shaking a little. Say yes! This is your one chance!

"Sure Steve." You responded and his eyes lit up, "I would love to." You smiled.

"Oh- uh- great, what about this Friday night? 8 pm?" He asked.

"Sounds like a plan." You said and he smiled.

"You two are like awkward middle schoolers." Sam Wilson came up behind you too.

"Really?" Steve huffed, obviously annoyed. You rolled your eyes.

"Yeah, it was like sixth graders asking another to go out to dance." Bucky randomly appeared adding on

"Shut up bird brain and metal man." Nat said walking down the corridor to you. "Ready to go?" She asked you.

"Yeah." You responded.

"See you Friday night, Y/N." Steve said as you and Nat walked away.

"See ya Steve." You responded and smiled.

(Part 2?)