29| No she'll be alright

NOVEMBER grunted as she shoved McGill down with 15 seconds left on the clock. the ducks and hawks were tied 4-4 as Nova skated towards the player with the puck. Regardless of the fact that her main position was right wing, she was doing a mighty well job on defence.

Nova slipped the puck away from the hawks grasp before passing it up towards Charlie. He had a clear path towards the goal and he raced towards it.

The hawk player she had stolen the puck from skated after him, hot on his trail. She watched intently before looking up at the clock and back to Charlie.

"come on.." She whispered to herself.

Just as the clock narrowed down to five seconds, Charlie's arm was tugged by the hawk players stick. The boy fell to the ground as the crowd erupted with complaints.

"hey!" Nova called angrily as the timer ran out and Charlie got up off the ground. She quickly skated towards her friend as she glared at the hawks she passed.

"are you alright?" she asked as she helped him up

Charlie nodded exhaustedly as he skated up towards where the referee was talking to Bombay.

"coach, penalty shots. anyone on the ice could take it." The referee said before skating off. Nova and Guy exchanged glances before Bombay walked out and talked to the few on the ice- Charlie, Connie, November, Guy, and Averman.

"alright," Bombay said as he clapped his hands together, "who's gonna take it?"

"i think Guy should take it" Connie suggested.

"me?!" Guy asked as everyone nodded in agreement, "wait- what about Nova?"

Nova furrowed her eyebrows and looked at him. "what about me?"

"You've got your ice slapper, Nova. I bet you could do it." Averman added

Nova shrugged with a doubting look in her eye. Bombay noticed and gave her a reassuring nod before talking over the team: "what about Charlie?"

"What about Charlie?" Goldberg said in disbelief

"lets let him finish what he started" Bombay said as he looked at Charlie with a smile.

Charlie gave a bewildered expression. "But we have a chance to win, Coach..."

"Damn straight we do.."

"i think Nova should take it.." Charlie mumbled. Nova looked at Charlie before looking back at Bombay.

"Are you sure, Charlie?" Bombay asked. Charlie shrugged as Bombay looked at the nervous brunette girl beside him.

"well- lets let Nova decide.." Bombay said

Nova instantly snapped her attention upwards towards her coach with a confused expression. "w-what? i don't know coach.."

"all you have to do is choose who'll take the penalty.."

"where's Banks when you need him.." Nova whispered to herself.

Nova took a deep breath in and thought for a moment. She looked around at the team, all looking at her eagerly. "well... i think.. i should.." Nova began as with a slightly shaky voice before looking at Charlie, "stay here, on the bench... while Charlie goes out and wins this game for us.."

Everyone mumbled and some cheered. Eventually, everyone gave Charlie encouragements before he was pulled away by Bombay. They whispered among themselves, making everyone stare at them.

After a while, Charlie skated up on the ice. Bombay came by and stood beside Nova, giving her a thankful smile.

"Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!" The team cheered as the referee talked to the Hawks goalie.

The goalie nodded and hit his stick on each post before getting ready.

Nova took a deep breath in as Charlie took off with the puck. Her heart was thumping as she watched him deke once, then twice...

"he's doing the triple deke?" She whispered to herself as he watched him deke once more, tricking the goalie. She held her breath as he flicked his stick, making the puck soar to the back of the net.

Nova's jaw dropped as the entire team erupted with cheers and skated towards Charlie on the ice. Nova, however, couldn't move as in that moment she was completely starstruck.

"hey Collins," Bombay said as he patted her back, "come on, let's go celebrate"

Nova looked up with him with the bewildered look on her face. She smiled and nodded before skating onto the ice, joining her team that was about just as good as family in that moment.

"i can't believe he kissed you!" Nova smiled as she walked out of the dressing room with Connie at her side.

Connie squealed and skipped as she walked. "oh my God! i know.. he asked me out too!"

Nova looked at her best friend with a smile. "gee Connie. I'm so happy for you!"

"thanks," Connie smiled, "you need a ride home?"

Nova bit the inside of her cheek and began to nod sadly...

"no she'll be fine" The two girls heard a voice from behind. Instantly, Nova turned to see her mother and father standing there with smiles.

November dropped her hockey bag and ran towards them, engulfing them both into bone crushing hugs.

Her father couldn't help but get a fit of coughs as the girl let go and smiled up at them. Her mother looked to him and gave a concerned look before the three were interrupted again.

"i've been gone a year and it's like y'all don't even wanna give me a hug," They said, "i'm still family, right?"

Nova furrowed her eyebrows and turned again to see her brother standing there with his arms wide open. She squealed and jumped up to hug him as he chuckled and hugged her back.

She couldn't help the tears that flowed out of her eyes in happiness. "Auggie!"

"How you doin Nov's" He said as he ruffled her hair.

Elliot and Samantha came and stood beside their kids contently as they watched their reunion.

Samantha looked to her husband in sudden worry. "how are we going to tell them?"

Elliot looked back at her and gave a reassuring look. "i don't know... not now... but we have to tell them soon- before it's too late"

Samantha withheld the tears stinging her eyes as she looked back at her kids and gave a forced smile. "don't speak like that," She mumbled through her teeth, "just the thought of it makes my heart ache.."

brynn speaks !

this chapter kinda stank but next chapter is the last one and i'll make it real good. i'm really excited to start the second book !

✌🏻