5| That was unnecessary

NOVEMBER fell to the ground again, it was hurting more and more every time. she grunted and adjusted her helmet before standing up. McGill has been hitting the crap out of her- even when she hasn't gotten the puck. now, Charlie Conway has the puck at his stick and he began to skate along.

"come on Spazway," Nova whispered before she began to yell, "all you Charlie!"

she skated along a bit behind him incase he needed someone to pass to. she watched as he lifted his stick and swung it right over the puck. she flinched a bit as his momentum made him tumble over and slide all the way to the wall. the puck was in front of her so she took a shot. sadly, the goalie saved it. she sighed before skating over behind the net to charlie. his helmet had fallen off due to the fact it was too big for him. she picked it up as he slowly got up.

"Charlie, you okay?" she asked him, "here's your hel-"

suddenly, Charlie was body checked against the wall, his face squishing up to the glass. Nova's eyes widened as she stopped her sentence. everything happened so quickly.

she looked over at the hawk who had knocked him down while she dropped Charlie's helmet to help him up.

Charlie shook his head and pushed her away lightly as he said he was fine. She saw Banks. he had checked Charlie. He was skating backwards slowly as Nova looked at him.

"come on," she said as she skated towards him, "that was unnecessary." she began to skate away but she hit his shoulder with hers as she passed. Charlie glared at him as he skated past.

Charlie and Nova skated over to the box and Bombay looked very unpleased. "nice fan, Charlie. Keep swinging, maybe you'll give them a cold"

Charlie sighed and looked back at nova as she began to enter the box. Bombay looked at her as she walked in.

"sorry coach" she mumbled as she took a seat.

she looked over to Charlie and sighed. "we're done for."

the game came to an end and everyone gathered around the bench. The team didn't seem bummed for a loss at all- only Nova. she sat on the bench with sweat pouring down her face and her chin resting on her hand.

the ending result was 17-2. it was embarrassing. Everyone was talking loudly and laughing as Coach Bombay and Coach Reilly talked between boxes. Nova wasn't paying attention to anything. she was zoning out as she way too embarrassed and bummed to do anything. Bombay turned around and looked at his team.

"Shut up!" he yelled, "you guys stink! i thought we came here to play hockey!"

That caused Nova to look up and exit her unconscious state of mind.

"you know? i knew we forgot something" Peter joked as everyone laughed.

"you think it's funny?! you think losing, is funny?!" Bombay scolded. Nova sighed and crossed her arms while still staying silent.

"well not at first, but once you get the hang of it" Averman said

"we're the ones out there getting out butts kicked" Jesse said sternly

"yeah it's not like you coach us or anything," Terry Hall added to his brothers statement, "at least we try"

"you didn't listen to a word i said," Bombay retaliated, "i said keep your head up, you put your heads down. i said hustle, you went slower! That was the sloppiest playing i've ever seen! why the hell wont you just listen to me?!"

Jesse stood up and glared at him. "why the hell should we."

Jesse sighed and put his helmet on before storming out to the locker room.

"i don't care," Bombay sighed, "you wanna lose? fine. you're the ones who look like idiots out there."

Coach walked out of the box and looked up at the stands.

"what a jerk." Averman whispered. Nova rolled her eyes and stood up.

"come on guys. he may be mean, but we gotta show him some respect" Nova said

"why? he doesn't respect us?" Peter said

"sure he doesn't," Nova said, "but he's our coach, alright. he's the reason we've got this chance to play hockey. we may suck, but we can get better. it's called improvement. i don't know about you guys, but i'm not giving up on this. i want to play hockey and that's what i'm going to do."

everyone just looked at her without saying a thing.

"i want to play hockey too, Nova," Terry said, "but like Jesse said, this guy ain't giving us anything. why should we?"

Nova sighed with disappointment and looked around at her team before walking out towards coach.

"hey coach?" She said as she skated towards him. he was in a sort of trance and was snapped out of it as he looked over at Nova.

he raised his eyebrows at her, indicating that he was listening.

"sorry about Jesse- and the game... it was pretty embarrassing on behalf of us all.."

Bombay looked at her for a minute before scoffing. "it's not your fault, Collins. I heard what you said to the team back there. you should be the last person apologising for them."

Nova shook her head. "no," she said, "i'm exhausted coach. i'm tired and i'm sore and i'm embarrassed, but you know what? i'm still here. i'm not over in the locker room with Jesse and i'm not over there in the box muttering some insults about you. you know why? because everything i did out there wasn't for you, it wasn't for the scoreboard, it was for the team. And i know we suck but these guys are like my siblings. i've known them for years and i know how they are. they may seem stubborn and immature but they're sweet too. they don't deserve to be called idiots or losers so i'm out here apologising for their butts because at the end of the day- we all lost out there and we all have to pay the price. so i'm sorry. we all are."

Bombay sighed and looked back up at the stands before glancing back down at Nova. "alright kid." he said.

Nova nodded slightly before skating off the ice. she felt like she was about to explode as she stepped off and walked into the locker room. she saw Jesse walk out angrily but she didn't say anything. she just quickly took off her skates and pads. she put on a pair of leggings and she didn't even bother to change her shirt. she slipped her jersey on and untied her hair before walking out of the change room angrily. fortunately for her, the team was still in the box. unfortunately, her parents were running late. she went over to a corner under the stairs of the stands and she kicked the wall. she had been trying to control herself all game- ever since the third hit she got from McGill.

she huffed out and sat on the floor with her head in her hands- unaware of the boys sitting atop the stands, witnessing her entire burst out.