3| Compared to us, they're Gods

THE COLD breeze of the hockey rink filled November's lungs as she entered through the doors

      THE COLD breeze of the hockey rink filled November's lungs as she entered through the doors. she been to the rink a billion times and the smell of the ice was still one of her favourite scents. she stared at the ice as she walked, she could see the other team already out there.

"hey!" she heard Connie greet as she caught up to her. nova snapped her attention away from the team and smiled at connie. she had her skates draped around her neck while she carried her hockey stick and bag. the two girls walked into the locker room and saw all the boys messing around. they looked at each other. typical.

"where's coach?" Nova asked everyone as she put on her pads.

Guy walked over and leaned against the wall near connie. he was already ready. "he's up in the stands watching the team. he said he'll be back"

"yeah?" Connie sighed, "well no use. it's not like we're gonna win or anything"

everyone agreed and Nova sighed as she finished up putting on all her gear. she stood up on one of the benches and got everyone attention.

"come on guys!" Nova pumped them up, "our chances aren't zero"

"yeah they kinda are," Jesse said sadly, "these are the hawks we're talking about"

nova shrugged. "what's so special about the hawks? they've got what? an enforcer who's really cheep and then they've got about two other good players. they're not all high and mighty if you think about it"

"compared to us," Charlie said as he patted nova on the shoulder, "they're Gods"

nova sighed as the entire team walked out of the change room sadly and tired looking. she hated seeing them like this. it made her nerves go even more. she saw her hands were shanking and she stared down before taking her gloves, putting her helmet on, and grabbing her stick. her team didn't even have proper gear. she was the only one with a real jersey on and a nicely fit helmet.

she walked out of the change room and onto the ice. she smiled. she loved this feeling. she began to skate towards her bench. she spotted two hawks teasing the team and Jesse Hall jumping at them before being held back by Guy.

"what was that about?" Nova asked as she skated over to Averman. he shook his head and the entire team just stared at the hawks warm up.

Nova rolled her eyes. nobody was pumped at all. they didn't even think to do a warm up. she could already feel her annoyance build up. she couldn't let it get out of hand though. she had to control it.

"i'm gonna go warm up," she said to the team, "you can join me if you want"

she put on her helmet and began to skate off as she took the puck and practiced some shots. no one on the team payed attention to her. they just kept looking at the hawks.

She took a few shots and a few laps before coach came over and told them to huddle in. the game was about to start.

"win! win! win! win! win! win! win!" she could hear the hawks chant. she sighed and shook her head before taking a seat.

everyone stared at them, again. even coach. once they finished, he told them to gather around.

"win. win. win. win. win. win. win."

coach chanted but everyone on the team cheered along lousily and as if they had no idea what they were doing. the all exchanged confused glances as coach looked around.

his winning chant faded out... "yeah we're fired up" he said half heartedly

everyone got on the ice and Goldberg stood at the goal. the team attempted to do what the hawks were doing by hitting Goldbergs shins as they passed by him. as always, he was complaining.

nova went along to hit him but stopped when Charlie accidentally tripped Goldie. she sighed and rolled her eyes before skating off towards the box.

Nova leaned up against the board as the first line subbed on. she could see the hawk trash talk Jesse, Guy and Terry as Jesse had to be held back by the referee to refrain jesse from going at the hawk, McGill.

"hum batter batter, hum batter batter, hum batter batter, aye batter batter, aye batter batter, swing batter batter, hum batter batter-" Averman began humming and Nova rolled her eyes from beside him.

"averman," Coach said. Averman didn't stop. "averman!"

Averman stopped and looked at him.

"it's hockey! there's no batter." He said sternly, making Nova scoff a laugh a little, "idiot"

Averman thought for a moment. "hum goalie goalie, hum goalie goalie, hum goalie goalie, aye goalie goalie, say goalie goalie-"

November shut her eyes and sighed loudly before wrapping her arm around Averman's head and shutting his mouth.

"oh," Averman mumbled, "um.. Nova. you're hurting me"

Nova looked so done with averman as she talked: "yep," She said bluntly, "that's the whole point"

the game started to begin as Guy and McGill faced off. the referee dropped the puck and McGill got it effortlessly. he knocked Guy down and the puck was given to number nine- Banks. he zoomed along the side as everyone went for him but tripped before they could even touch him. Goldberg ducked as Banks took a shot effortlessly and it went straight in. the buzzer went off and the crowd cheered. as Jesse got up from his fall, Banks skated past him, knocking off Jesse's helmet as he did. as usual, Jesse began to go at him but the referee stopped him before he could. Nova rolled her eyes and followed Banks with her eyes until he was on his end of the rink.

she groaned, "this sure is going to be one hell of a game"