CHAPTER 27

I've got my damn head in the clouds. It's like Lennox has taken up a huge chunk of space in there. I can't stop thinking about the way her lips felt up against mine and the weight of her body as she leaned into me. And the image of her in my sweatshirt was — I can't find the words to describe it.

I need to concentrate on this oil change, feels like I've been at it for hours.

"Lennox Taylor, huh?"

Over the soft hum of the shop radio, Dan's voice pierces through me. I spin and come face to face with his narrowed eyes. He crosses his arms and leans against the tall blue vertical pole that sits a few inches from the car I'm working on.

He stares at me like I'm a child in trouble. I wipe my hands on the dull red rag draped over my shoulder and step out from under the car. One of the other guys, Tony, moves in to finish up.

"Lennox Taylor?" Rob echoes.

He comes up behind Dan and falls in line beside him.

"Lennox Taylor," I repeat.

"Dude, why didn't you just tell me you had a thing for her?" Dan asks.

Honestly, I didn't know I had a thing with Lennox until that tiny piece of paper slipped between our lips. Even as Dan's angered stare holds me accountable for my actions, I don't feel guilty for it. It's not like I made it happen, it just did and now — now she's invading my mind.

"Max has a thing?" Rob's jaw drops.

Dan nods, keeping his arms crossed. "How long dude? It was at the movie theater, wasn't it?"

"No, it wasn't like that," I say, truthfully.

The movie theater was different. Lennox was uncomfortable. Anyone could see it. Dan is my best friend, but it was a shitty move on his part. I don't understand how he didn't pick up on her feelings.

"That's not what that kiss looked like." His voice has an edge to it.

I toss the dirty rag back over my shoulder and close in on Dan and Rob.

"Kiss? My nephew made a move on Lennox?"

Rubbing the bridge of my nose, I moan.

"I don't know what's going on," I say.

I lower my hand. Rob has one of those proud grins on his face, with a smidge of surprise lingering in his wide-eyed gaze. Dan's jaw is set tight as he tries to piece everything together. I don't want to screw up my friendship with him, he's one of the only friends I'm close to and knows almost everything about me. I didn't mean for it to go that far.

Dan holds up his hands as if he's surrendering. "Dude, if you're into her I'll back off. She was definitely into you."

Laughter hits me. The two of them stare like I've lost my mind. It was only a kiss because of a game, right? And then the second time was just — I'm not even sure. The words, it's fine, I'm not into her like that sit on the brim of my lips, but don't leave them. Dan's real feelings are reserved for Maya, it's why he went after Lennox, she is a distraction. I wish I could have yelled at him for the way he made Maya feel that day at the theater. Maybe if I tell him I'm into Lennox then he'll back off.

"Okay, fine. I admit I like Lennox. At first, she drove me mad but now I don't know, man, something just..." I shrug.

It's supposed to be a lie, so that Dan can put his attention back on Maya, but as the words leave my mouth, they sound real. Rob crosses the small open space between us and sets a hand on my shoulder.

"I knew there was something going on when we met her that day. My nephew is dating Lennox Taylor, not every day you can say that."

His forehead wrinkles in confusion.