CHAPTER 23

I don't know why I'm sitting here waiting for the big announcement from The Orbit Theater. Maybe it's because it has to do with Starlien, and my brain can't switch off the girl who has somehow grabbed my attention. That and I may have started to rewatch episodes of the show. I'm finally understanding the appeal to the show, but mostly Lennox. The first season her acting was rough around the edges, but she grew into her character, and you could see her confidence build with each episode.

So much has changed between us. I think we have managed to get past what happened at the airport and have moved into friend territory. Although, it feels like there's something more there, but that might just be me.

I stare down at the phone in my hand. With an hour to go until the live there's one thing I need to do. Convincing Mom to come to the wedding is not going to be easy, but I have to try. Not just for Rob, but for herself.

C'mon Max, you can do this. Mom doesn't pick up on the first few rings. When I think it's about to go to voicemail there's a crackling on the other end.

"Hey sweetie."

My body relaxes at the sound of her voice.

"Hey, Mom."

I want to get a read on her before I tell her the news.

"Did I catch you at a bad time?" I ask.

I hear some rustling around on the other end.

"No, I'm getting ready for work. The car is acting up," she says with a loud sigh. "Aunt Dawn is driving me today."

I want to tell her about Dad too, but I'm sure the wedding will be a better thing to lead with.

"Wish I was there to help you check it out."

I mean every word. She's the adult and is supposed to be worried about me, but I can't help feeling the same type of worry every time I fly three-thousand miles away.

"Me too dear, but your — your father's friend, Phil, has offered to check it out in his shop."

Her voice sounds strange, and I'm pretty sure the dad thing can wait. Mom needs good news, and a wedding and a baby are perfect.

"I'm glad it worked out. Uh — so I have something to tell you."

I try to keep an upbeat tone to deliver the news.

"Everything okay?"

There is a tiny bit of concern in her voice.

"Great actually. You'll never guess what I have to tell you."

Honestly, I can't keep the smile from my face. The news is exciting, and Rob is the happiest he's been in years.

"You met a girl," she says, a teasing tone in her voice.

I chuckle, relieved that she seems in good spirits.

"No — well — but that's not why I called."

Ugh, even now when I'm thinking about other things Lennox is there sneaking her way in.

"It's about Uncle Rob."

There we go, now I'm heading in the right direction with this conversation. A notification pops up on my phone. It's from Instagram. Ignoring it I press the phone back to my ear.

Mom sighs. "What did that boy do now?"

I can't help laughing at her comment.

"He uh — he and Monica..."